OBD Convo #20: I am Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
bnhatcb345_005.png

Just in case anyone thought I was joking about Looney Toons shit. This panel right here is why everyone was dying. Something this nibba could have easily escaped from :mjlol.

GregSteve

Bakugou died for your lmao's
V.I.P. Member
HxH-7.5/10
FMA- 7/10
FMAB - honestly haven't watched/read
Bleach-7/10
JJK-8/10
CSM-9/10
Jojo part 1-9/10
Demon Slayer -5/10
Dragon Ball - haven't watched/read
Dragon Ball GT - haven't watched/read

Dragon Ball Super - 4/10
Naruto Part 1 8/10
Naruto Part 2 5/10
One Piece 9/10
Yu Yu Hakusho - haven't watched/read
Black Clover 8/10
MHA - 2/10
Fairy Tail 3/10
NNT - -5/10
I'm disappointed right now

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
20220921_201048.jpg

If someone can tell me what practicality is there for Izuku using black whip as a damn scarf or the Wolverine claws besides edge I'd appreciate it. On paper this is like your typical ssj rage/nine tails/hollow Ichigo (I'd say Asta too but he doesn't really count now that I think about it) type deal, until you realize Izuku doesn't have that evil side he must control like those guys. He's just intentionally being edgy for the sake of it.

Oh I almost forgot that energy bullshit that's surrounding him like a ssj, the one that's also leaking from his eyes. That and the Afo Vestiges being shown are implied to be the last quirk. Super Saiyan plus edo tensei (or whatevers going on) :skully

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Asta the first time he went demon mode doesn’t count since he basically told the Demon “I’m taking that power but I’m not letting you control me.”

Later on when Dante fatally wounds Gauche, it’s pretty rage-based

My only complaint is the author picked by far the least likeable Black Bull for Asta to get angry for when he picked the creepy siscon/lolicon whose an asshole to everyone including Asta. Definitely would have felt Asta’s rage more in this scene if it were Vanessa or Grey that got hit instead.

I'll put in my actual ratings for the series I have seen and watched since I only really did the Big 3:

One Piece - 4/10(Like I said before, I find it heavily overrated and I can never really stick with it at all due to me not really being a fan of how Oda does things. It feels more like he's constantly writing shit down at the last second even moreso than he did before)

Naruto - 1/10(I literally can't even watch Part 1 anymore... Part 2 and Boruto basically killed any real nostalgia I had for Naruto and at this point, I usually just see it as the dregs of a once decent potential manga)

Bleach - 7/10(9/10 Anime)(Surprising right? I actually do agree with the faults of Bleach but I actually believe they are honestly overblown in many aspects. I don't believe the Soul Society is where "Bleach ultimately peaked" nonsense people love to spouse but at the same time, I do agree that Arcs like the Fullbringers and TYBW was primarily dashed due to differing issues causing them to lose steam far too quick. Ultimately, it would be the only one of the Big 3 I can actually rewatch without feeling like it was a waste of time at the end).

Seven Deadly Sins - -10/10(Naruto? Atleast there was some decent shit before it got ruined by the author ultimately being an idiot, Nakaba basically nuked his series the second we left the first Arc, tried to recover with Escanor and basically banked into a Mountain. I can barely find any redeemable factors in Seven Deadly Sins that wasn't ultimately ruined because Nakaba literally can't leave shit be(Even fucking Jericho is ruined now, thanks) and actually work with a decent premise).

Demon Slayer - 7/10(I actually do dig this series... somewhat. Tanjirou is like a better done Izuku, the teamwork actually feels earned and the villains are powerful enough to constantly warrant it and the World Building is actually pretty decent. While it IS primarily carried by UFOTable, the series also doesn't wear out it's welcome and actually feels compact despite the author still making Gaiden Series from it)

Full Metal Alchemist(2003) - 6/10(... Yeah... I don't hate the 2003 series but after Brotherhood, I can see why some may prefer 2003 but I'm not one of them. I liked the twist they did but the execution just felt way off and the changes, while having the potential to open more dynamics, never actually explores them(Outside of Lust, ironically enough). Conqueror of Shamballa should be skipped period)

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - 10/10(Yep, do I need to say anything else? I do? Nah fuck that, watch it yourself!)

Fate/Zero - 5/10(It's... not for me. Fate/Zero is basically what people believe is what makes a main character truly badass... but this is basically missing the entire point of the show(Kiritsugu isn't a badass, he's a kid larping to be a superhero through killing) and honestly, it has too many of Urobuchi's fingerprints rather than anything that comes from Nasu himself(While he usually does leave others later on doing their own shit, there is SOMETHING usually tying him to their writing) which makes it awful to actually use it as a jumping off point for the Nasuverse itself despite many people doing so.)

Fate/Unlimited Blade Works - 6/10(This is more due to the fact that as an adaptation, alot of Shirou's nuance will be lost hardcore which makes Shirou more dumb or stupid or amnesiac rather than what he really is. It's decent as long as you read the VN later on to really get into him(Or basically go and look through people who primarily put all of the info up).

Eden's Zero - 8/10(Surprise, surprise, I thought Eden's Zero was going to be a slightly less stupid Fairy Tail and it ended up being Groove Adventure RAVE's little brother instead. Mashima wasn't fucking joking and decided that he wanted to actually try again and it fully shows. A series that is dark but surprisingly not ultra bleak or too try hard. Villains that are reprehensible but makes sense how they got where they are. Characters that don't want to make you stab yourself with a fork. I still haven't finished the first season yet but I'm definitely onboard with Season 2 now).

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Oh and I didn’t specify which FMA in my list I ranked 9/10.

Brotherhood AKA the real series is way better than the mostly filler first series. Grander story with better pacing, way better action and fights, Father puts Dante to shame as a villain and more memorable side characters that are also more involved in the story and developed.

Original FMA is about a 5/10. Hasn’t aged too well compared to the manga and more faithful adaptation and I get bored pretty quickly going back into it.

Last edited:

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
Sure, i'll make a list.

FMA-9/10
YYH (anime)-9/10
HxH -8.8/10
YYH (manga)-8.5/10
Jojo - 8.5 (on aggregate)
Rurouni Kenshin -8.2/10
Hokuto no Ken-8/10
Kekkaishi-8/10
Basilisk-8/10
Shaman King-8/10
Dragon Ball Z-8/10
Ushio to Tora-7.8/10
Magi-7.5/10
Recca-7.5/10
OP-7/10
Dragon Ball-7/10
Rave-7/10/
DGM-7/10
Nardo-6.5/10
Inuyasha-6.5/10
Black Clover-6/10
Hitman Reborn-6/10
Bleach-5.5/10
DBS-5/10
Kenichi-5/10
Negima-4/10
FT-4/10
MHA-4/10
Yashahime-4/10
BORT-3/10
Campione-3/10
NNT-3/10

Last edited:

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
FMA 2003 while it was following the manga was straight up better than Brotherhood.
Slower Pacing and darker tones + more complete adaption was pretty great.

Once it got into its original shit, it started to dip, but that dip is exaggerated a lot.

FMAB is a 9.
FMA 2003 is a 7.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Mostly Shounen manga at first but people are including other stuff like more Seinen stuff and LN or VN original adaptations

Just post whatever you like at this point

I'd have to split stuff like digimon by series I have very diverging opinions on each

and damn can ya'll make a unified list I barely remember when I read most of these series

I feel old now

Ya'll the ones making bigger lists, I only listed the series I watched that I felt like remembering, if I did what Rey did, I would be doing this for so much longer lol.

Are you all ranking shonen or are you ranking manga in general?

Manga in general.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
HxH-8.9/10
FMA- 7/10
FMAB - 9/10
Bleach-6/10
JJK-8/10
CSM-8.5/10
Demon Slayer -8/10
Dragon Ball - 8/10