• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #37: WE ARE MIGHTY WARRIORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
10xfz0ugm8fb1.jpg

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
You applied for them but got turned down?
Yep. I had a lot of what they asked for, when it came to requirements, but the several years experience working on AAA titles, despite this being a Junior position, screwed me over.

Came to find out from a friend, who's also in the gaming industry, that the job listing is kinda a con too, since they only put that up to look fair. He told me if you ever see a Junior position that has a requirement like a few years experience on it, it's usually because they're going to be hiring their own boys internally, and have no intention of hiring anyone from online. Basically, the buddy system in full effect. :heston

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Yep. I had a lot of what they asked for, when it came to requirements, but the several years experience working on AAA titles, despite this being a Junior position, screwed me over.

Came to find out from a friend, who's also in the gaming industry, that the job listing is kinda a con too, since they only put that up to look fair. He told me if you ever see a Junior position that has a requirement like a few years experience on it, it's usually because they're going to be hiring their own boys internally, and have no intention of hiring anyone from online. Basically, the buddy system in full effect. :heston
How do you even get a foothold in the industry then?

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member

I'm at a point now where I just said screw it, and have been looking up the necessary info for starting up my own gaming business, because why the hell not? I'm not exactly short on passion, I just need the know-how on how to handle a business at least semi-effectively, and I should be good. :tupac

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I'm at a point now where I just said screw it, and have been looking up the necessary info for starting up my own gaming business, because why the hell not? I'm not exactly short on passion, I just need the know-how on how to handle a business at least semi-effectively, and I should be good. :tupac
You can do it bro. Find some friends and make an indie game. :ryuaww

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
How do you even get a foothold in the industry then?
Either start your own, or get lucky and find a job notice that doesn't have that requirement of a few years experience. I found that with 2K earlier this year, but unfortunately, didn't get accepted, due to a number of applicants being superior to me when it came to C++. It is what it is.

As I mentioned up above, I'll be taking the first route now. Entrepreneur style.:yousmart

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
Don't fall in the investor hell if you don't want to lose your soul :catskully

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
Investors are one of the biggest evils afterall :wow
I want to make fun games to play, while, of course, making a living doing it.

If I sell my soul to the corpos, I only have the possibility of the latter, not a guarantee, with how they operate. Those fuckers, like the ones in Hacktivision, managed to make some of the most passionate devs in the industry into little more than drones making COD, without a sliver of the life that used to be in the series, way back when. Or just about any example you can think of for EA. Slime-balls, the lot of them. :wow

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
I want to make fun games to play, while, of course, making a living doing it.

If I sell my soul to the corpos, I only have the possibility of the latter, not a guarantee, with how they operate. Those fuckers, like the ones in Hacktivision, managed to make some of the most passionate devs in the industry into little more than drones making COD, without a sliver of the life that used to be in the series, way back when. Or just about any example you can think of for EA. Slime-balls, the lot of them. :wow
Vicarious Visions managed to stay true their whole time under Craptivision. Than they were shut down and absorbed into Blizzard despite their banger Crash and Tony Hawk Pro Skater remakes they gifted us with before departing.

:wow

Indie developer is the way to go if you want to make a living selling games without selling your soul.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
When I hopefully get my business, which will mainly be online, of course, off the ground, and we get our teeth into our first game, I might just bring an alpha and beta test of it here, to the OBD, for anyone to test out and see what they think of what. Get some good feedback.

All free of charge, of course, because I like you guys, and would prefer folks to tell me the honest truth about what I and others have made, even if it's a total burial, rather than kiss my ass. Real criticism is important, after all. :tupac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back