• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #46: No Matter What!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Xhominid The Apex, @Adamant soul Playable characters in Penny Blood: Hellbound are

Clara is a mysterious girl with very little memory of her past and the natural ability to manipulate Malice at will (corruptive energy born from negative human emotions, which has the power to warp and twist humans into monsters). According to Kato-san, she designed Clara as a character too crazy to include in the main game.
IMG_7438.webp

Sariel is a former elite soldier who leads the Hellhounders in their mission to destroy the powers that be and change the world. Is strengthened by multiple prosthetic limbs and Malice-infused attachments. Is going to be one of the antagonists in the main game.
IMG_7439.png

Dr. Franz Eugene a genius sociopath scientist who serves as the brains of the Hellhounders and is the reason the Hellhounders have superhuman powers thanks to his research into Malice. Is going to be one of the antagonists in the main game.
IMG_7440.png

Joseph Momfre, the infamous Axeman due to string of serial murders he committed in New Orleans, the Axeman was recruited by the Hellhounders and treated to Malice infusions that boosted his already monstrous strength. Also loves novels and jazz. The Axeman is based on the unidentified serial killer, The Axeman of New Orleans. Is one of the antagonists in the main game.
IMG_7441.png

Darya Nikolayevna Saltykova is A ruthless sadist from the 1700s brought back to life through one of Dr. Eugene's experiments through the power of Malice. And her DNA is infused with spider genes. Long devoid of sympathy and kindness, Darya now has only one goal; to feed the life within her womb with as much Malice as possible and rear it into the most powerful being the world has ever known. Darya is based on the real life murderess, Darya Nikolayevna Saltykova. Is one of the antagonists in the main game.
IMG_7442.png

Vito Andolini was first recruited to the Hellhounders by Sariel due to his marksmanship. But his refusal to undergo Dr. Eugene’s Malice transfusion and become a monster like the rest of Hellhounders has made him the black sheep of the group. Is one of the main party members in the main game.
IMG_7443.png

So basically, Pennyblood really is connected through Shadow Hearts if Roger Bacon's existence wasn't proof enough.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Makes me wonder. You got Mathers and Crowley naturally since Crowley in particular was known for his many eccentricities, but do any other works out there reference Anna Sprengel?

Always figured a real life figure whose existence was never even proven but is claimed to be the founder of the Golden Dawn would see use in works referencing and using that occult just for how mysterious everything about her is

Makes me wonder. You got Mathers and Crowley naturally since Crowley in particular was known for his many eccentricities, but do any other works out there reference Anna Sprengel?

Always figured a real life figure whose existence was never even proven but is claimed to be the founder of the Golden Dawn would see use in works referencing and using that occult just for how mysterious everything about her is

Most of the big wigs in To Aru are based on real people from the shit Aliester Crowley went through(Dude's life was utterly nuts just like he was), I thought you guys would know that?

Like even Aiwass is based on a being that Aliester Crowley worships that is based on how he sees Angels... which is apparently disgusting as fuck. Crowley was also used in SMT 2 as a memorable yet crazy boss.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Most of the big wigs in To Aru are based on real people from the shit Aliester Crowley went through(Dude's life was utterly nuts just like he was), I thought you guys would know that?

Like even Aiwass is based on a being that Aliester Crowley worships that is based on how he sees Angels... which is apparently disgusting as fuck. Crowley was also used in SMT 2 as a memorable yet crazy boss.
I’m not talking Toaru. I’m wondering if there’s any other work out there that uses the Golden Dawn that’s made a character for Anna Sprengel, a relatively obscure and mysterious figure of that occult that we never even know was a real person.

Between that and the claim she’s the founder, lot of potential there for a villain

Last edited:

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

I can sort of see the marketing argument because, even I'll admit that I didn't hear of App Monsters or Ghost Game until they were well into their runs, BUT I'd also add that the stigma of "Pokemon rip-off" (however false it is) never really left Digimon so that is also a contributing factor to it getting a lot less attention.

The rest of this though comes across as "how dare these newer digimon seasons (Adventure 2020 not included) try something different?" Which yeah seems to be a sadly consistent thing in this fanbase. The amount of people who disregard Frontier for NO other reason than it broke from the normal formula, is ridiculous and the new seasons simply got hit with it harder (especially Xros Wars).

Now I've not seen enough of the newer seasons except Xros Wars to go against the idea that the newer characters aren't as interesting. I'd agree in terms of the humans in Xros Wars but they made up for that by having more focus on the Digimon characters.

Also "There's no stakes in Ghost Game, no one really gets hurt." I've only watched a few episodes but even though no one DIES, people do get fucked up in Ghost Game. Never mind this being the series with some of the most violent Digimon deaths in the series, courtesy mostly of GulusGammamon (who is your overarching plot right there).

I really don't see how it's "NOT SERIOUS" anymore. :kobeha

Also "There's no stakes in Ghost Game, no one really gets hurt." I've only watched a few episodes but even though no one DIES, people do get fucked up in Ghost Game. Never mind this being the series with some of the most violent Digimon deaths in the series, courtesy mostly of GulusGammamon (who is your overarching plot right there).

I really don't see how it's "NOT SERIOUS" anymore. :kobeha

I don't understand this at all...
What do people mean that there is no stakes if no one dies? That's not how stakes work and you can make stakes work in different ways. Saitama nor Mob ever truly gets hurt when they fight, not even against their most powerful foes(Mob at worst had his arm messed up against the True CLAW leader but even that is basically gone before the next arc) yet the stakes was a hell of alot more than them getting hurt.

It really is a childish fashion to believe the only way to have stakes is for the characters to be hurt and killed like:
  • Having loved ones be killed or hurt
  • Having the city you protect be destroyed
  • Having someone take something precious from you(Doesn't even need to be a person, an inanimate device is enough)
Etc, etc.

Like Kamen Rider Build had the main Cast only truly drop off at the end of the series and most of the stakes wasn't even the characters dying but everyone else and/or the villains getting closer to their goals.
I think people put too much on the characters getting hurt or dying = stakes which explains why storylines are such shit these days.

I’m not talking Toaru. I’m wondering if there’s any other work out there that uses the Golden Dawn that’s made a character for Anna Sprengel, a relatively obscure and mysterious figure of that occult that we never even know was a real person.

Not really? It's kinda weird as most franchises surprisingly doesn't touch on the occult as much as you think. Even the most well known, Aliester Crowley, is not even remotely used despite how infamous he is and it's not like his family stops people from using him in any way(FGO explicitly has that issue with 2 Servants that are coming to NA this year precisely due to their families and estate(George Milines and J.Edgar Hoover) making saying who they are impossible).
So I guess for most authors, they just get glazed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back