Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
gamefreak trying to balance anything when they let stealth rocks exist as-is for like 10 years is hilarious

At least I can see them not giving a fuck cause they only care about VGC but yeah, that shit was some serious cancer.

At least we have heavy duty boots now but it's still trash. Nothing should be taking more than 1/8th of HP for only one turn of setup.

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
This community sometimes, smdh.

The new crafting system for TMs sucks. Bitches are complaining wellll it makes the game too easy if every Pokemon can have Earthquake.

If a team of amateurs can make Pokemon Insurgence difficult, even though they make it brainless to ev train, level, get moves, and breed AND still have a game more challenging than anything GF has ever pumped out with the main games, then the answer is fucking simple.

Keep the convenience, make the god damned game harder. And quit with the it's for kids bullshit. I literally beat Brock with a mega brain strategy as a 5 year old, could have caught that Mankey sure, but since I didn't know type advantages I caught two pidgey, used sand attack then gust on Geodude until its accuracy was garbage, let the pidgey faint, switched to Pikachu, maxed double team, quick attacked to win. Repeated that on Brock, literally won every single time.
If I can figure that out as a 5 year old, then don't tell me kids can't play a harder Pokemon game, they can and we fucking well have.

/rant

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
their genius way of making the games “harder” is to just take away anything that actually makes them more convenient away

i dont even care for super difficult mods or anything but obviously having played these since childhood, they really babyfied these last few gens

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
their genius way of making the games “harder” is to just take away anything that actually makes them more convenient away

i dont even care for super difficult mods or anything but obviously having played these since childhood, they really babyfied these last few gens

Yeah, I'm getting a really empty enjoyment from Violet. Kind of like how I "enjoyed" ACs 3 and onward. It's there but it always feels like there's so much missing, cause there fucking is.

How is it that Gyarados is still one of the best Water types in their like 400 some list?

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
I just picked up World of Final Fantasy and it's so sad how it fucking wrecks Pokemon in almost every way.

Better graphics, better art style, some really cute and badass monster designs... ALL OF THE FUCKING CHARACTERS ARE VOICE ACTED.

Okay so it's not open world, but I never really thought GF could ever do that justice anyways, and they haven't.

Also the dialogue is actually kinda funny.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
im personally not big on open world stuff Id rather just have a really well designed world/map but as long as the open world had that too it would be fine

obviously sword and shield were rushed but one of the biggest reasons they suck to me is the regular world and open world had nothing to do with each other and both suffer as a result.

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
im personally not big on open world stuff Id rather just have a really well designed world/map but as long as the open world had that too it would be fine

obviously sword and shield were rushed but one of the biggest reasons they suck to me is the regular world and open world had nothing to do with each other and both suffer as a result.

Yeah that was such a weird choice wasn't it? I'm not done with it but the wild area is just a fucking beta they slapped down for us.

Tbh Pokemon's regular routes were starting to suffer from a common problem, old JRPGs have just these branching hallways where the end is always an item.
The thing is that other JRPGs fix this by having a gripping story and world so you can kind of just get that done and then get back to the meat.

But Pokemon needs to do more with it. I would say that Scarlet/Violet are trying to take a step toward that but it kinda fails. There's no mystery in exploring a cave anymore cause they feel really weak and have no atmosphere.

I don't like Ubisoft these days but the AC games really showcased the purpose of still having individual non open world areas in your open world, like the puzzles in 2 to get Altairs armor. They had their own mystique and atmosphere.

S/V doesn't have that. Hell breath of the wild made every little chunk of land just ooze with its own atmosphere, you could practically feel the difference.

GF just sucks at it.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
i havent had a chance to play sv yet so my modern pokemon takes are based on my experience with swsh, it’s just such a weird game because you can see the skeleton of a good game buried somewhere way down in there, but it’s just suffocated by poor decisions and rushed releases

like I don’t mind the route system at all, I wasnt tired of it, but you really have to do interesting things with it. Secret little pockets easy to miss with trainers or other stuff, weird rare pokemon only appearing in certain places etc. The older games do a decent job of this (remember stumbling on a trio of trainers in Crystal in some out of the way pocket I never visited which was neat) but even those don’t lean as hard into it as they could be.

Pokemon has never been a story driven series, so any kind of lore etc. needs to be communicated through the world and they’re getting progressively shittier at doing that. My big issue with swsh is that they turned the gym challenge into the focus of the story when historically that has only been about 1/3 of the progression in past games. As a result even something with barebones storylines like Kanto end up feeling more fulfilling.

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
i havent had a chance to play sv yet so my modern pokemon takes are based on my experience with swsh, it’s just such a weird game because you can see the skeleton of a good game buried somewhere way down in there, but it’s just suffocated by poor decisions and rushed releases

like I don’t mind the route system at all, I wasnt tired of it, but you really have to do interesting things with it. Secret little pockets easy to miss with trainers or other stuff, weird rare pokemon only appearing in certain places etc. The older games do a decent job of this (remember stumbling on a trio of trainers in Crystal in some out of the way pocket I never visited which was neat) but even those don’t lean as hard into it as they could be.

Pokemon has never been a story driven series, so any kind of lore etc. needs to be communicated through the world and they’re getting progressively shittier at doing that. My big issue with swsh is that they turned the gym challenge into the focus of the story when historically that has only been about 1/3 of the progression in past games. As a result even something with barebones storylines like Kanto end up feeling more fulfilling.

I don't mind the gym focus really that was always a big point for me buuuuut it's just weird execution?

Well for me there was stuff like the Seafoam islands, nobody really talks about it but it's there to explore, and if you go to the depths you find mother fuckin' Articuno.
It just doesn't feel like that anymore. There's nothing worth finding in the overworld anymore.

This is part of what killed KH3 for me, old games Oblivion was actually missable, there were powerful accessories and shit hidden by puzzles and exploration. KH3 just gives you everything good up front and all the treasure has ratty ass potions in it.

It's so shit. All games are doing this now. This is definitely the result of stretching a games content out. Just make a simple, linear game that's quality ffs. If you can't do these massive maps then DON'T.

It's like Legacy of Goku 2 vs DBZ Kakarot again... -Sigh-

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
seafoam is exactly what I mean. there isn’t anything like that in swsh at least, course that’s partially because the base game did not even include any kind of legendary trio at all :giogio
which idk, having the right configuration of legends really goes towards how much of a sense of culture the region ends up feeling like it has

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
seafoam is exactly what I mean. there isn’t anything like that in swsh at least, course that’s partially because the base game did not even include any kind of legendary trio at all :giogio
which idk, having the right configuration of legends really goes towards how much of a sense of culture the region ends up feeling like it has

It kind of hurts too that they're trying to integrate it into the story. Some people think it's good cause they think it helps you connect with it better... as if I care about connecting with a fictional Pokemon. Shit, if it doesn't have at least a neutral nature for story mode even I get rid of it. Used to do perfect nature's only but that made every playthrough a chore.

Just let legends be legends. No I don't want to use them in the story. Game's are already easy, then you get some ridiculous 800 bst freak of nature to atomize everything.

The more they integrate them into the story the cringier things get imo. Like sure you can't use Koraidon/Miraidon in battle until the end either but eh...

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
yeah for me I got sick of the competitive aspect after playing showdown a while as a teenager bc GF is so dogshit at balance but I definitely don’t like using legends and broken shit. Breaks the immersion for me.

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
yeah for me I got sick of the competitive aspect after playing showdown a while as a teenager bc GF is so dogshit at balance but I definitely don’t like using legends and broken shit. Breaks the immersion for me.

The problem is GF is all in on VGC and the Smogon is just a community of nerds.

GF doesn't care about evasion nonsense.

Smogon doesn't care about invalidating Flying/Bug/Fire/Ice types. Nearly all of which are pure trash defensively as it is and then lose up to 50% of their health by existing depending on their secondary typing...

How annoying was it to constantly need to bring defog or rapid spin too? To spend 25% of the game trying to kill the opponents shit eating SR setter before you can finally focus on getting into the actual fucking battle?

Was like a damn checklist before you could have fun.

Did you bring Taunt?
Did you bring Rapid Spin/Defog?
Did you bring Fake Out?
Did you bring Pokemon that won't be immediately dead upon switch in?

Like fuck it man, just make it so whoever sets stealth rock first automatically wins. That's what Smogon wants.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
^this is exactly what I mean. There was a point where I was into competitive but it just stopped being fun and GF has demonstrated for like, half of my lifespan, that they fundamentally don’t know how to balance it in a way that’s more fun

just nerfing stealth rocks alone would make the meta 50% more bearable to me. You should never lose half of your health just for switching in because you’re “the wrong type” (which they also won’t ever rebalance). With Spikes, Toxic Spikes etc they require multiple layers set up to get the most out of them thus there is a clear greater risk for greater reward. Stealth Rocks is just some bullshit nuke at no cost

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
^this is exactly what I mean. There was a point where I was into competitive but it just stopped being fun and GF has demonstrated for like, half of my lifespan, that they fundamentally don’t know how to balance it in a way that’s more fun

just nerfing stealth rocks alone would make the meta 50% more bearable to me. You should never lose half of your health just for switching in because you’re “the wrong type” (which they also won’t ever rebalance). With Spikes, Toxic Spikes etc they require multiple layers set up to get the most out of them thus there is a clear greater risk for greater reward. Stealth Rocks is just some bullshit nuke at no cost

People say it's for punishing switching too but you know what? I have a simple fucking idea, just allow only 6 switches per battle. 1 for each Pokemon. You switched 6 times? Okay that's it. You can't switch anymore that battle. Problem fucking solved.

Then it makes you think twice about switching without punishing already weak types.

And yeah we're here at gen fucking 9 and Ice type still sucks defensively. Like take away the stupid fighting weakness and the rock one too. Fire and Steel is enough weaknesses. Maybe even take away steel too tbf cause Ice type only resists itself. How does that make sense anyways? Yeah Ice won't break steel but steel doesn't always break ice either...

Last edited:

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
ice should absolutely resist rock imo, glaciers carve through mountains and shit

be here all day if i wanted to talk type fixes though, rock and ground definitely need some work. Why in the fuck are rock types weak to ground when almost all of them live underground ????

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
ice should absolutely resist rock imo, glaciers carve through mountains and shit

be here all day if i wanted to talk type fixes though, rock and ground definitely need some work. Why in the fuck are rock types weak to ground when almost all of them live underground ????

Tbh do we even need both types? Ground is partially crushed up minerals... Just take Ground out imo. It's stupid. It'd be like having Ember and Fire types lol. Or grass and tree type!

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
its is a bit redundant but i dont see them ever removing a type, it could all fit under a generic “earth” or it could all just be “ground” and itd work

but as-is the resists are just strange and they pair them together so often it makes tons of cool pokemon borderline unusable even just in the main game

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
its is a bit redundant but i dont see them ever removing a type, it could all fit under a generic “earth” or it could all just be “ground” and itd work

but as-is the resists are just strange and they pair them together so often it makes tons of cool pokemon borderline unusable even just in the main game

Well hey, they added Fairy to balance Dragon, so surely they can merge Rock and Ground to balance things.

Of course they buffed Steel with that for very little reason. Poison as a weakness was good enough. Psychic has really fallen down, perhaps Psychic would make more sense, fairies are said to be mischievous after all, which is difficult if someone knows what you're about to do. Like why are Fairies weak to steel? Cause urbanization removes forests? Sure I guess... but like you can make up plenty of reasons that don't break your games balance to pieces.

Back