• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

The Elder Scrolls Feats and Discussion

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Sload also posses airships, which they used to transport corpses for necromantic purposes.
The Sload are the most famous Necromancers, but little is known of their native Thras. In Tamriel, Sload only practice Necromancy on other races. It is uncertain whether this is true in Thras as well. If so, it would explain the number of slaves that are purchased in Tear by Sload merchants and the rumors of Sload airships carrying corpses from Senchal.
Like Dwemer airships, Sload airships have gasbags (not magical sailships like those of the Ayleids). The name of these ships are Sload Floaters. Unlike the Dwemer however, Sload Floaters appear to be made of organic materials (going by the concept art).
n6n2Jk5.jpg
rQYz7kw.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Various clockwork contraptions exist throughout Tamriel, that can play music (with different volume settings), breathe fire and fly. Although some of these would be connected to Sotha Sil and the Dwemer, some very explicitly aren't, and were made by someone else.
Online:Contraband C - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP)
Online:Contraband/Children's Toys - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP)
Online:Contraband/Musical Instruments - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP)
Online:Contraband/Devices - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP)
Contraband description: Clockwork Brass Alarm said:
Clockwork brass rooster that crows thrice at dawn, with three volume settings, from Swan's Grace Enchantments.
Contraband description: Clockwork Dragon Frog said:
Firestarter Antique First-Era noble's novelty device, a clockwork dragon frog that spits a small puff of flame.
Contraband description: Clockwork Toy Soldier said:
This wind-up clockwork toy was crafted by Telenger the Artificer himself, and was probably gifted to the child of a noble.
Contraband description: Intricate Clockwork Snowy Owl said:
Windup brass and ceramic snowy owl that turns its head, blinks, and hoots raspily. Imported from Necrom.
Contraband description: Brass Windup Clockwork Frog said:
Windup clockwork amphibian that croaks and shoots out its tongue at the sound of a certain tone.
Contraband description: Dancing Mammoth Music Box said:
Music box that, when wound, plays "Threnody for King Eplear" as three clockwork mammoths dance around Treehenge.
Contraband description: Elaborate Clockwork Hurdy-Gurdy said:
Fine string instrument that can be played with a bow, or cranked to automatically play the Camoran March.
Contraband description: Lay of Firsthold Music Box said:
Clockwork music box of brass and tin that plays the "Lay of Firsthold" while tiny swan ships sail in a circle.
Contraband description: Windup Flying Nightingale said:
Delicate clockwork nightingale that, when wound up, can fly across the room, singing; labeled "Galarniel, Firsthold Artisan."
Contraband description: Child's Wind up toy said:
A tin wind-up toy made to resemble a mechanical Dwemer spider.
Contraband description: Colovian Cypher Device said:
A brass cylinder of rotating disks, engraved with letters and connected by a central axle, used to decipher Colovian messages.
Contraband description: Copper Saltrice Steamer said:
Copper-bottomed double-boiler steamer, engraved with the motto "The Finest Saltrice comes from Sathram!"
Contraband description: Crystal Quizzing Glasses" said:
Crystal magnifying lens mounted on a long brass handle, microscopically inscribed "Davynu's Workshop."

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Ragnthar is a Dwemer city that exists outside the ordinary confines of reality, with multiple entrances across Nirn.
To be sure, there are a number of unusual finds within the ancient Dwarven holdfasts. Towering machinery, shafts that allow sunlight to reach thousands of feet below ground, roaring waterfalls powering still-active and incomprehensible machinery … there are many ruins that are stunning to the eye and the senses.

None of them match Ragnthar when it comes to stunning the mind. For you see, Ragnthar has numerous entrances spread across Tamriel. It is literally a space-out-of-space, twisted out of reality. Its physical location is actually unknown! Observations made within the site suggest it once was situated within the mountains of Hammerfell, but a precise origin point has never been determined.

What is known is that by stepping across the threshold into Ragnthar, you leave Nirn. And no one knows why.

For indeed, the greatest question posed by Ragnthar is: why? Why would the Dwemer expend the enormous amounts of magical energy required to remove a complex from known reality? I call this effort a "Temporospatial Claudication," literally a twisting of time and space.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Arriving at Kynesgrove, Alduin's arrival heralds a snow storm. This has been the case with every playthrough of Skyrim I've done so far.

As Sahloknir wakes up, when still just a skeleton (which is weaker than his form with flesh) he throws the dirt and boulders of the dragon mound off him.

A dragon in skeleton form is weaker than when their skin and flesh rematerialize.
2HqIzhe.jpg
When Alduin resurrects Sahloknir, the two have a conversation in the dragon tongue. So yes, dragons can infact speak in their own language and cool downs are non-canon.
wJuSClE.jpg

NxOCg3A.jpg
Alduin rebukes you for calling yourself Dovahkiin but not understanding the language of Dovah.
AoO3ooE.jpg

hMO1Yui.jpg
As Alduin leaves, the skies clear again.

Unrelenting Force shout (with just two words) sends large chunks of dirt flying and knocks Sahloknir back.

You perform a takedown move on Sahloktar.

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
Arriving at Kynesgrove, Alduin's arrival heralds a snow storm. This has been the case with every playthrough of Skyrim I've done so far.

As Sahloknir wakes up, when still just a skeleton (which is weaker than his form with flesh) he throws the dirt and boulders of the dragon mound off him.

A dragon in skeleton form is weaker than when their skin and flesh rematerialize.
2HqIzhe.jpg
When Alduin resurrects Sahloknir, the two have a conversation in the dragon tongue. So yes, dragons can infact speak in their own language and cool downs are non-canon.
wJuSClE.jpg

NxOCg3A.jpg
Alduin rebukes you for calling yourself Dovahkiin but not understanding the language of Dovah.
AoO3ooE.jpg

hMO1Yui.jpg
As Alduin leaves, the skies clear again.

Unrelenting Force shout (with just two words) sends large chunks of dirt flying and knocks Sahloknir back.

You perform a takedown move on Sahloktar.

:mjgrin

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Sahloknir crashes into the ground and dredges it up, sending chunks of dirt and stones flying everywhere.

Unrelenting Force does kick up some dust (and even some dirt clumps).

You see the Moons slowly but surely moving.

Another Draugr kicking the top of their sarcophigas open (this was was in Ustengrav if I recall correctly).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I have no idea how I missed this. We actually see Hircine turning Secunda red in a cutscene.

2:43
bOVuJkB.gif

After the defeat of his aspect, Secunda returns to its normal colour (from the same video above at 3:27).
bOuPdan.gif

Between these two, we see an entire glacier collapse (above video at 2:53).
r8YA5k.gif

QnO9mq.gif

I've written more on the Bloodmoon below for the full context of why the above is so impressive.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
@Stocking Anarchy Do you follow Fudgemuppet on YouTube? They post tons of Elder Scrolls Lore videos.

I primarily follow them for their Skyrim roleplaying builds. Right now, I’m taking a break with my High Elf for a build based on this one: The Avenger

Character goes perfectly with my usual roleplaying of a Thalmor hating rebel. Awesome backstory and playstyle and Krosis + Glass Armor just looks badass.

Going to follow the above but probably mix in some One-Handed too. Just doesn’t feel like a proper Warrior without some kind of melee skill.

A late comeback I know, but I've been watching a good few more lore videos recently and Fudgemuppet is among them.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Not a feat this time, but a counter argument. When debating the power of Dovahkiin, Alduin and Miraak, this quote is often brought up;
So great and terrible were the forces unleashed in this contest that Solstheim was torn apart from the mainland of Skyrim. Here, the myth clearly descends into the realm of pure fantasy.
Miraak and Vahlok tearing Solstheim from Skyrim is stated by the same book to be 'pure fantasy' so this feat isn't reliable. In terms of feats, Miraak and Vahlok scale to much better (and in the case of Miraak, have better feats outright), so make of you will if splitting Solstheim is legit or not. A friend of mine has pointed out there's places where the landscape of Soltheim matches that of Morrowind and Skyrim, so that's some support of the argument in case of (which I may look into later).

However, that is not the issue here. The issue is that the author of The Guardian and the Traitor is being treated as authorative on the subject.

To start with, the name of the author spells out some information for us already. 'Lucius Gallus.' An Imperial, not a Skaal. His account goes on to say this outright; this is the reason he went to the Skaal Village in the first place, to learn more of the myth from the Skaal in person.
Certain that this myth is rooted in history I set out to learn what I could and perhaps piece together a presumptive account of the events that gave rise to the legend.

The tale is remembered best by the shamans of the Skaal, that unique tribe of Nords whose culture evolved along an entirely divergent path than that of their brethren in Skyrim.

I spoke at length to the shaman of Skaal Village, a wise and hospitable man named Breigr Winter-Moon. He described an age long ago when Dragon ruled over the whole world and were worshipped as gods by men. Presiding over this cult of dragon-worshippers were the Dragon Priests, powerful mages who could speak the dragon language and call upon the power of the thu'um, or Voice.
So not only is he hearing this secondhand, but he admits that he came here to learn more of the legend in the first place.

If this is not enough evidence that the source isn't authorative, take further note of what he says in regards to the fight between Miraak and Vahlok...
The Guardian, whom the legend presents as a paragon of loyalty and nobility, finally defeats the despicable Traitor, who seems to represent all that is corrupt and evil in men. Their epic duel is clearly representative of a greater struggle between good and evil. Perhaps it is this timeless quality that has kept the tale alive for so long.
The author says that the fight is meant to be representative of a greater struggle between good and evil. While this still may be the case (TES is a world of Metaphors made Manifest), we can confirm that not only are both Miraak and Vahlok real, but they did infact fight.
r5wskBb.jpg
HQrd6CU.jpg
There is a better example however; near the end of the book, it says as such...
There are other tantalizing clues, though perhaps these connections strain the bonds of credibility. For example, is it possible that the Skaal deity, the All-Maker, is some distant echo of mighty Alduin, the World-Eater of the ancient Nord pantheon?
The book says that the All-Maker may be a distant echo of Alduin the World-Eater. To iterate, the All-Maker is a belevolent all encompassing being who created everything, while Alduin is the dark devourer of the world. The two are nothing alike. But it gets even more blatant, as the Skaal already have their own version of Alduin, who's an aspect of the Adversary, the enemy of the All-Maker and the Skaal.
In a time before now, long before now, when the Skaal were new, there was peace in the Land. The sun was hot and the crops grew long, and the people were happy in the peace that the All-Maker provided. But, the Skaal grew complacent and lazy, and they took for granted the Lands and all the gifts the All-Maker had given them. They forgot, or chose not to remember, that the Adversary is always watching, and that he delights in tormenting the All-Maker and his chosen people. And so it was that the Adversary came to be among the Skaal.

The Adversary has many aspects. He appears in the unholy beasts and the incurable plague. At the End of Seasons, we will know him as Thartaag the World-Devourer. But in these ages he came to be known as the Greedy Man.
So despite Tharstaag being the World-Devourer for the Skaal, who eats the world at the End of Seasons, the Lucius Gallus still equates the All-Maker to Alduin (for the reason that all I can make out, because their names both start with 'A').

To put this further into context, there are other in-universe books which also claim to be authorative. There Be Dragons (written by Torhal Bjorik) says that dragons summoning storms and stopping time should be dismissed as myths and fairy tales.
The more fanciful tales have them summoning storms and even stopping time. These should be discounted as myths and faery tales.
Which is of course, completely wrong, as summoning storms and slowing time are powers we can directly see in the games themselves (which Dovahkiin can use).
nZ75zp.gif

6XGAEO.gif

So this is another source which says something is just a myth when it provably isn't.

So all this being said, take what you will from the story, but 'it didn't happen because the book itself says it's just fantasy' is not a valid argument.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Nirnroot can achieve in a very short period of time what other plants take millions of years of evolution to do.
To surmise, my two proposals are certainly linked. The plant needed to survive, and therefore used a byproduct of its destructor to do so. No other plant in nature has ever come close to this metamorphosis. I feel the Nirnroot has accomplished in a relatively short amount of time what it would take other species millions of years to complete.
The magical nature of Nirnroot makes it more susceptible to climate shifts.
According to the records of the noted Imperial Herbalist Chivius Regelliam, the Nirnroot once flourished and could be found all over the country, but he suspected a cataclysmic event severely stunted their growth. Although many scholars reject the proposal that the Sun's Death event of 1E 668 catastrophically affected plant life, Chivius feels that the Nirnroot's lineage was damaged by the lack of sun for a full year. Whereas other plant species tend to "find a way," the Nirnroot's mysterious magical nature made it especially susceptible to this climate shift. While this may or may not be the case, it's certainly true that the recorded sightings of Nirnroot are declining as the years pass.
The disasterous Red Mountain eruption of Sun's Death in First Era 668 and the falling ashes across Tamriel forced a change in the very makeup of Nirnroot.
The answer, my fellow alchemists, is nestled within Chivius's own notes. Although he spends a great deal of time with the Nirnroot in his laboratory, the one thing he neglected to test at a high enough level of detail was the soil. As stated previously, Chivius felt that the Sun's Death, the eruption of Red Mountain, contributed to the demise of the Nirnroot. Agreed. My amendment to that proposal is that the ash that fell from the sky that entire year mixed with the soil, and again, due to the magical nature of the root, contributed to the aforementioned changes. The ash became a catalyst of sorts, forcing a change in the very makeup of the Nirnroot. Although very little ash from that dark time remains, I have done tests on newer ash samples sent to me from Vvardenfell. They show little to no magical properties, certainly none of which could affect a plant to that magnitude. However, the rare occurrence of what's known as Ash Salt in the normal ash does contain very potent magical abilities. In fact, some native Dunmer are said to harness that ability to create a cure for the Blight, which pervaded their realm many years ago. I feel this magic, meshed with the Nirnroot's inherent magic caused the radical change... in essence; the root "healed itself."

Darth Nihilus

Lord of QUALITY
V.I.P. Member
So I'm playing Skyrim and I'm looking for some featworthy shit in game to record for this thread and future usage.

Alduin dropping meteors into Skyrim was an impressive feat for the first 20 minutes. Vampires must be the most magic oriented in game from what I've seen.

What else is there to look out for besides trolls and Mammoths?

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Legendary Dragons once your Level 78+ The Revered Dragons just below them aren’t half bad either.

Both make Alduin a joke by comparison

Now if you’re talking in-game impressive feats, the Greybeards shaking all of Skyrim just by calling you after you kill your first dragon is one. The Dragonborn goes on to take their full unbridled Thu’um only mildly shaken by it all

Some of your other Shouts are utterly ridiculous when you think about it like Clear Sky parting entire storm clouds and you Storm shout conjuring up an entire storm cloud that constantly rains down lightning

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The glacial crevice in the Forgotten Vale was carved out over tens of thousands of years (meaning there was 10000s of years in the Metheric/Dawn Eras, along with the above mentioned millions of years of plant evolution).
bY02YEx.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Looking more into Skyrim The Boardgame again. There's a sidequest where you help an Argonian feel more at home in the cold climates of Skyrim, so you enchant his entire house.
BLRB2pf.jpg
Even if you fail, you still enchant his home, causing it to become so warm that you pass out (though he still loves it). He then requests you find a tome that can cure any disease.
DhfwLuT.jpg
Wuleen-Ei Mereesesh says that the ruin should be deserted, though it unfortunately isn't.
ZUPTQxs.jpg
After dealing with the monsters, you can either take the tome (with it's powerful spells of healing) back to Wuleen-Ei or give it to Meridia.
SL3B9l4.jpg
If you take it to Meridia, she will gaze deep into your soul, and judge you...
fDtRKHi.jpg
She will either find worthy and bestowed a treasure, or found wanting and smited.
bOnJPnA.jpg
If you take it back to Wuleen-Ei, he has one more task for you; while he prepares the incantation, he requests you break his roof just enough for rain to come through.
HLVf5R6.jpg
If you fail, you will destroy his entire roof (and hurt yourself in the process). If you succeed, Wuleen-Ei will handsomely reward you, saying that his new home is even better than the marshes. Most importantly of all, you will be proud of your hard work, and gain a new friend.
2TME8ZX.jpg
So all of this said, this shows us that enchantment works not only on clothing, weapons and equipment, but on entire buildings. While the heroes of Skyrim The Boardgame are powerful, they are in the nebulous area of "well above average but well below legendary." As such, other master enchanters could place an enchantment on a building (perhaps on High Hrothgar to stop it exploding whenever the Greybeards speak, or on Dragonsreach to make it more dragon-proof; both are more important locations than some guys house, as nice as said guy is).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Found the ArtStation of Bethesda 3d sculptor Jonah Lobe, and he's got some very interesting things to say. First of all, giants are modelled after his dad, as well as a feeling of a long life in the Sun (with inspirations from farmers from around the world and African and Celtic influences.) Jonah says that a giants club can launch you into orbit, and that this was identified as a bug almost immediately, but it was so funny they decided to keep it in anyway.
A lot of people don't know this, but I originally designed the Giant to look like my father, Jim Lobe (you can google him if you like, he's a journalist). With his weathered features and weary demeanor, the Skyrim Giant was meant to convey a profound feeling of oldness, of a long life lived in the sun. I wanted players to feel like children again, small, in awe of the largeness of our parents as they moved around the house. To create this, I referenced the art of Adam Adamowicz (obviously - he was the concept artist there at Bethesda Softworks!), farmers from around the world (to get that creased-skin look) and African tribal scarring (blended with a Celtic influence).
The model, fully-clothed, weighs in at around 12k polys. Watch out for that club - it'll send you into orbit.
(Fun-fact: We at Bethesda identified that physics bug in the game almost right away... and then decided it was too hilarious to take out!)
Jonah calls Alduin a "world-eating dragon."
Alduin nearly ruined my career.
I was 27 when I created Skyrim’s world-eating dragon, which meant I was young and considered myself damn-near immortal (I still do, but we’ll leave my blood-of-the-innocents diet for another day). I was behind schedule - as I often am - bogged down as I was from the sheer amount of detail I had sculpted into the mesh. I pushed myself for days and then weeks, until - just one day before I predicted he’d be done - my body gave out completely. My wrist was in *agony*, and I found out after weeks of physical therapy that I’d given myself a savage case of tendonitis. I was out for weeks, and my work suffered for many, many months. In fact, ten years later, I’m still suffering the effects — I need to stretch daily and take frequent breaks to hold it bay.
Ah, mortality. I shall find a way to best thee yet... 💀
In regards to a draugr, Jonah wanted to portray a feeling of great strength, saying he wanted it to feel as if knocking on their skin would be like knocking on wood.
I loved creating the Draugr for Skyrim. Undead are always fun to make, but when I saw the many pages of concept art that came off the desk of Adam Adamowicz, I immediately fell in love. The Draugr are not sagging, rotting, shambling undead, and they're not horrors - not exactly. They are soldiers and warriors of legend, sworn to the undying task of guarding the resting places of their people - they are strong, and angry, and the dry, frozen catacombs have caused their skin to shriven into petrified leather.
In modeling and texturing the Draugr, I wanted to convey a sense of power and ferocity, and that feeling like if you tapped the skin with your knuckle, it would sound like knocking wood. And the suit of armor that he's wearing - with its straight angles and beaten bronze-age appearance - helped me establish a metalwork style that I then propagated over to all the other armor sets I did, like the Dragonbone and Dragonscale armors. I just love that hand-made look...

Back