unpopular opinions thread: olf o bee dee edition

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
Nah, American comics =/ western comics in totality.

Euro comics or Bandes Desine shit on both in terms of writing, art , structure...etc.

Like, pick up any Elric, Conan or Western bandes comic realeased in the last 10 years and you'll see.
Yeah i was gonna exclude euro stuff, but they're not nearly as popular as american superhero comics sadly

Top59

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
I mean they make more money than both American and Japanese, don’t they?

American Comics are the least popular
I'm not sure that the European comics do more money than the manga, Europe has eternal classics with many years but things like One Piece or Kimetsu sold a lot.

Speaking only from the point of view of money, but I suppose it would be a thread for long debate since I think that Japan has done more manga than comics that Europe has done but most of the manga are irrelevant and sell bad but still with little sum. to the industry, it could be an interesting thread to see what the industry generates, among its greatest exponents and all comic/manga industries.

I'm not sure that the European comics do more money than the manga, Europe has eternal classics with many years but things like One Piece or Kimetsu sold a lot.

Speaking only from the point of view of money, but I suppose it would be a thread for long debate since I think that Japan has done more manga than comics that Europe has done but most of the manga are irrelevant and sell bad but still with little sum. to the industry, it could be an interesting thread to see what the industry generates, among its greatest exponents and all comic/manga industries.
I’m not particularly sure how much the money actually stacks up against Manga, but to adress @GoldenHeart ‘s point on the issue, European Comics eclipse Superhero Comics pretty spectacularly as it is despite being relicated to a smaller population. Pretty impressive all around

BBAEB53-D-B1-AE-409-A-A267-B115-EA091-DE8.jpg

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Guess I dislike the Dark Schneider character for similar reasons I dislike OG Tsukihime Shiki Tohno. Did he really need to try and rape Michael? Things I just wrote off as edgy in 2011 just rub me wrong now.

Like, I can whole heartedly recommend Berserk to someone else because while the elements of sexual abuse are graphic, they’re treated with actual gravity and some level of respect. Can’t bring myself to recommend OG Tsukihime (or volume 3 of Kara no Kyoukai) or Bastard!! because the former is ultra edgy early Nasu sledgehammer writing and the latter treated it like a gag.

Which is a shame, the imagination for the setting in both are worth experiencing, I just know if that shit makes me feel off then it’s probably going to rub others around me wrong too.

Also speaks of a weird disconnect that I can tolerate someone genocidal like OG Vegeta, but that probably has more to do with my brain not fully processing the sheer scope of his atrocities enough to be bothered compared to the more personal violation rape entails? :hm

Guess I dislike the Dark Schneider character for similar reasons I dislike OG Tsukihime Shiki Tohno. Did he really need to try and rape Michael? Things I just wrote off as edgy in 2011 just rub me wrong now.

Like, I can whole heartedly recommend Berserk to someone else because while the elements of sexual abuse are graphic, they’re treated with actual gravity and some level of respect. Can’t bring myself to recommend OG Tsukihime (or volume 3 of Kara no Kyoukai) or Bastard!! because the former is ultra edgy early Nasu sledgehammer writing and the latter treated it like a gag.

Which is a shame, the imagination for the setting in both are worth experiencing, I just know if that shit makes me feel off then it’s probably going to rub others around me wrong too.

Also speaks of a weird disconnect that I can tolerate someone genocidal like OG Vegeta, but that probably has more to do with my brain not fully processing the sheer scope of his atrocities enough to be bothered compared to the more personal violation rape entails? :hm

Honestly, I find tasteless murder(killing off characters without reason or purpose) to be as bad as tasteless rape(rape done for the sake of it) and it's been that way ever since I have noticed how many characters(male or female) tend to due just for shock value and how many people tend to overcoddle rape(not just senseless rape but rape done for actual gravitas) being in a story at all.

It's why yeah, I can see why you would have an issue with OG Shiki Tohno and Asagami Fujino's backstory since you can literally replace them entirely and it wouldn't affect their characters much(I mean yeah, Fujino was trying to take revenge on them and it spilled over hard but still)... but in comparison to Sakura's, they feel needless and doesn't really build them up.
But for the genocidal stuff, yeah, we literally cannot process that level of death without downplaying it or we would be tomatoes so unless we put a face to Vegeta's genocides(like if we explicitly saw him kill a family and it was focused on them), it would be so much harder to forgive Vegeta, if not impossible.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member

this is kinda how ive become too, a lot of stuff when I was getting into manga at 17 and just tried to not think about it now stands out more as an adult with kids etc.

makes me wonder if I’d even be able to enjoy rereading Narutaru because there’s a lot of fucked up stuff in that but iirc the author was treating it seriously, but it’s also been 10 years so who knows how well my teenage brain interpreted that

whereas stuff like made in abyss I got 8 chapters in and was like yeah if a nigga like this gets anywhere near my kids i gotta handle that

I guess it’s because Nappa did most of the gruesome stuff to the Z fighters + He killed Nappa + he never really killed a Z fighter directly + he was brutal to Freeza’s soldiers + any death he caused in the Buu Saga was straight up meaningless in the long run because we have the Dragon Balls so dying never felt as serious anymore

but the BIGGEST reason why Vegeta’s unlikable morals and personality are glossed over is because, in my opinion, the fucker never stops getting humiliated. For all his smug posturing, he gets his ass beat. Frieza. Android 18. Ginyu Force. Cell. Kid Buu.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
it's literally baked into the arc structure at this point lol

>vegeta unlocks new form
>pops off for 2-3 chaps/eps
>gets planted like a tree so goku time all the time can shine
At this point, the ultimate subversion that nobody would actually see coming, is if Vegeta was legitimately the hero of an arc that beats the main villain. Because the likelihood of it happening, is in the negative. :mjlol

I think I would really dislike Vegeta if he never faced any consequences for his bullshit actions. Thankfully, he does.

like, that’s why I dislike Sasuke. I’ve always felt he got off too easy.

Oh boy, don't even get me started on Sasuke or how he ultimately damaged Naruto's character beyond repair...

When even Kishimoto admits he made bother characters look insane while trying to parallel their "friendship" with his fellow twin brother who basically estranged himself from Masashi... I can see why he wants nothing to do with him if this is how he interprets it.

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member
I think I would really dislike Vegeta if he never faced any consequences for his bullshit actions. Thankfully, he does.

like, that’s why I dislike Sasuke. I’ve always felt he got off too easy.
honestly why I really liked his big moment in the buu arc

was a good redemption for him and him accepting he was essentially on the fast track to hell showed some cool growth on his part.

Him also letting go of his rivalry with goku at the end was also dope but then s00per came along and ruined it.

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
- as sad as it can be, atm, you need a certain amount of bad posters to keep things active and lively
- the 90's jojo ova fight between jotaro and dio is actually, better than almost every remake jojo fight out there, not to mention, satoshi kon also had helped with those episodes
- opm, even if they ever reach multiversal, it will still be one of the most overrated series, and it aint even a fun series as well, really zzzzz, only hd art, just that
- firefox > chrome
- no more heroes 3 is the lamest in quality, from all the no more heroes games, its true, despite the great pl zenkais, in quality, its really mid, sales were also mid

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Having a formula or recurring archtypes is not a bad thing in and of itself. It's always good for this formula to be altered and changed every now and then of course to avoid getting stagnant, but chances are it's these storybeats and character archtypes who draw in fans because they like characters and stories like that (chances are your own favourite franchise has formulas and archtypes too).

Also I liked Code Geass.

Back