• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

What tier should Kratos from God of War be now, following Ragnarok?

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
Since I've seen some folks still want this thread to be done, here it is. This is the thread where, based on all the evidence gathered, we decide what tier the spartan, and by the same extent, those who comfortably scale to him should be at, after the latest game. Know there was technically another thread for this on Fanverse, but that's Fanverse. We here at OLF OBD might as well do our own version. The better version. :mjpls

@Claudio Swiss @Stocking Anarchy @Papa Nier @Darth Nihilus it's time. Let the mud sling- I mean the discussion, commence.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
Alright I see now
Let's be objective and handle this like sensible gents

Best way to do is start off with easy feats before getting into the cosmic ones

Here’s a reference for the feats and statements, some are inconsistent.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
My thoughts and opinions on the matter...

The different dimensions that house the 9 Realms being much bigger than Scandinavia seems legit (I remember WOG saying you could walk to the equivilent in Egypt in one interview, and not just a Twitter DM but a video). So IMO, the Realms are the size of Scandinavia, but the dimensions are bigger. If anyone scales to that is another question.

As for feats to scale, the big things IIRC are Thor and Jorgromundr shaking the Nine Realms, Odin slaying (?) Ymir and forging his body into Midgar (the Nine Realms?) and Ragnarok destroying Asgard. Ysmir's mind/dream is also acesable across all Nine Realms via the giants murals, for whatever that's worth.

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I honestly don’t have an issue with Kratos being small planet or planet level, if those calcs are legit

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Small planet to planet level sounds good as a baseline IMO

Totally possible he could be a shit ton higher than that, but it really depends on how we view some of the more 'cosmic' stuff. Personally? I'm alright with some of it.

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
The different dimensions that house the 9 Realms being much bigger than Scandinavia seems legit (I remember WOG saying you could walk to the equivilent in Egypt in one interview
1. The land mass is almost certainly Iceland. It's waterlocked, and that's the language being spoken.
2. Everything you experience regarding Yggdrasil and the realms directly contradicts that WoG statement

The first calc in that list says that killing Poseidon flooded "the world". And then calcs it as though it's drowning the entire planet. That's dumb.

This is literally the Greek domain in GoW. It's not a whole planet. I also don't know why Kratos or Poseidon or just being given the GPE for the water's mass.

50yFePY.jpg

More than one of the calcs makes this mistake. It should have become obvious that the whole planet wasn't flooded by the death of the Greek pantheon, when a new game was announced and Kratos had...*checks notes* SAILED TO MORE LAND!

The only possible argument is that each cultural sphere contains its own Earth. But this folds back on itself immediately. Like...did Kratos sail to the Greek version of Iceland, or had he been living his life in the Norse version of Greece? You can write canon to make it work, but that's the problem. You would have to write canon.

Small planet to planet level sounds good as a baseline IMO Totally possible he could be a shit ton higher than that, but it really depends on how we view some of the more 'cosmic' stuff. Personally? I'm alright with some of it.
Most "cosmic stuff" comes from contradicted WoG, or one off showings that don't hold up to the rest of the lore.

Even stuff that seems clear-cut is often contradicted by other lore. A primordial getting stars punched off their face seems impressive until you realize the sun (a star) is literally smaller than the Greek landmass. So...

I don't see any reason to have Kratos above multi continent level.

Me talking about cosmic GoW said:
tl;dr / The Point:

1) GoW is not universe level. At all.
2) GoWs WoG is tainted by a lack of standards and uninvested creators. It should have little to no weight on the verse going foward.

-----------Word of God Credibility-----------------------

God of War's lore has never been particularly coherent. This isn't shocking, the first game was not made with the intent of it becoming a series. The creators thought it would flop.

Over the years, as creators became more active on social media, VS nerds tried to remedy this by reaching out for clarification.

@BenTennyson did a massive info dump a few years back, just before GoW4 released. He, and a few other posters at the time, were sure that WoG had confirmed Kratos as universe level and lightspeed.

More recently, active debaters have been referencing tweets and Facebook posts about the nature of Yggdrasil, the Nine Realms, and the stars found in the Realm Between Realms [1][2]. Again asserting clear evidence of true cosmic-level godhood for Kratos and co.

The problem is that these inquiries into canon seem to be aimed at literally anybody who brought the dev team coffee. Most do tend to work in a department that at least makes sense for the question ie; "how big is x map?" being asked of an environment artist. But regardless of what your title should imply, individual artists do not dictate canon.

Beyond asking the right person, we also have to take into account the possibility that even those people aren't bothering to track the canon of the material on a level that is suitable to this hobby.

Recent comments by actual top creatives about the nature of the 9 Realms have been in direct contradiction to what we see in the games. And it is clear that their comments aren't genuine answers they had to give about the world they created. They were just interpreting the same information we have to work with.

The comment was along the lines of: "character X said ___, therefore I guess the answer to your question is ____". This is literally the point of Death of the Author. Their opinion on what certain in-game comments mean for the lore has no more weight than ours.

It doesn't help that character's comment they cited -- a line from the 2018 game, is directly contradicted in Ragnarok.

---------------Power Level--------------------

As for the actual claims being supported by this dubious WoG, the one I take the most issues with is universe level Primordials and, by extension, universe level Kratos (and everyone else who matters). The sole piece of evidence for this is Ouranos getting celestial bodies punched off his face.

This punch was "confirmed" by "WoG" in Ben's info dump to be the creation of the Greek universe. A universe that somehow also ends a few hundred miles from Athens, when you reach Egypt. I guess this is one of those "only infinite in one or two dimensions" type of infinities, despite the Greek infinite cosmos being a sphere. :catmaybe

The key redflags are:
1. Without scaling, not even the God Tiers of the verse come anywhere near this power level. As such, everyone struggles against and falls to much lesser powers.
2. The creation of the universe, especially the stars, should include the sun. And we know Greece's sun to be smaller than the Greek landmass. This makes it untold orders of magnitude smaller than any real star. And removes any in-game credibility the other celestial bodies had.
3. None of the other Primordials, not even the one that punched Ouranos, generate these kinds of phenomena. When they take damage, or even fall dead, their bodies turn to mountains or oceans. None of them generate cosmic aftershocks.

The Yggdrasil claims are also just as dubious. The idea that any of its dimensions are infinite seems absurd to me when
A) creatures exist specifically to trim its roots
B) you can walk across the width of its trunk to go from Muspelheim to Niflheim.

I also don't see any reason to think you are hopping universes when you go between realms. It is specifically stated that the primordial realms existed in the infinite void before Odin slew Ymir and created the other 7 realms. Ymir's corpse did not end up in 7 different universes. It is in the same place as the two primordial realms, hence why they are all in the same fucking tree.

The single piece of WoG I have seen cited for this is the one I mentioned earlier; creators quote Freya claiming that the realms all exist in the same space. Something that is directly contradicted by you being able stand in the space between the primordial realms.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
1. The land mass is almost certainly Iceland. It's waterlocked, and that's the language being spoken.
2. Everything you experience regarding Yggdrasil and the realms directly contradicts that WoG statement

The first calc in that list says that killing Poseidon flooded "the world". And then calcs it as though it's drowning the entire planet. That's dumb.

This is literally the Greek domain in GoW. It's not a whole planet. I also don't know why Kratos or Poseidon or just being given the GPE for the water's mass.

50yFePY.jpg

More than one of the calcs makes this mistake. It should have become obvious that the whole planet wasn't flooded by the death of the Greek pantheon, when a new game was announced and Kratos had...*checks notes* SAILED TO MORE LAND!

The only possible argument is that each cultural sphere contains its own Earth. But this folds back on itself immediately. Like...did Kratos sail to the Greek version of Iceland, or had he been living his life in the Norse version of Greece? You can write canon to make it work, but that's the problem. You would have to write canon.

Most "cosmic stuff" comes from contradicted WoG, or one off showings that don't hold up to the rest of the lore.

Even stuff that seems clear-cut is often contradicted by other lore. A primordial getting stars punched off their face seems impressive until you realize the sun (a star) is literally smaller than the Greek landmass. So...

I don't see any reason to have Kratos above multi continent level.
Well, been a minute since I've seen you on here, lad. You been good?

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
didn't even read any of the posts, and still have him as multi continental+ levels to further degree this time

planet level kratos is still just a dream, lmao

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
didn't even read any of the posts, and still have him as multi continental+ levels to further degree this time

planet level kratos is still just a dream, lmao
As I said up above, lad, some of the boys wanted this thread made, so I made it. If there was ever a time to bring the goods and prove Kratos had reached a higher tier than multi-continent level, it'd be here and now.

@Claudio Swiss @Stocking Anarchy @Flowering Knight you guys have any response to what Nygma has said?

Bob74h

The Supreme King
Imma be honest I don’t really like playing the low end game anymore, but I’ll say that 99.9999999999% of fiction just got a whole lot weaker if we go by their low end feats
Difference god of war low ends and dbz low ends

Is that they are often quite consistent in god of war
kratos always jobs to random crocodilies or whatever when for goku, He's shaking the universe in a clash with a god of destruction

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

kratos always jobs to random crocodilies or whatever when for goku, He's shaking the universe in a clash with a god of destruction
Except they aren't consistent, not even fucking remotely.

Kratos going toe to toe with and overpowering giant creatures, gods and other such things with ridiculous feats are how he's portrayed the VAST MAJORITY of the time.

These "instances" of him struggling even a little with lesser creatures are once in a blue moon events. That's ignoring the ones you were blatantly dishonest about, such as pretending those are "Crocodiles" when they're actually mythological creatures called "Dreki" AND the fact you used a gameplay clip to LIE about Kratos being hit by it when there's no evidence he actually was hit canonically. Or how you tried to pretend Atreus' Bear form is regular Bear levels, when Kratos him fucking self makes it clear this isn't the case, well in advance of him finding it.

No it's EXACTLY like Dragon Ball asshole, stop lying through your fucking teeth and pretending these low ends are more consistent than it actually is.

Last edited:

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

Crocodile thing tends to be game mechanics

Kratos is still someone who’s broken mountains with his bare hands on screen and regularly overpowers giants

Bob74h

The Supreme King
Crocodile thing tends to be game mechanics

it's a intentionally animated scene
it's not a random instance of gameplay plus he loses to forest animals in the comics so it's consistent

And even ignoring that even his high ends are just him struggling against giant guy with no noteworthy feats outside of ig their large size eg cronos and colossus of rhodes

Back