• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

What tier should Kratos from God of War be now, following Ragnarok?

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
I was gonna hold off and not say anything but I gotta say my piece otherwise i would be doing you guys a diservice.

I dont buy Kratos being planet level. Multi-Continental as Blade says makes more sense.

My reasoning is thus: What ability or attack was used to give planet level anything? Yeah I know calcs and shit but hot damn, the calcs are cool and all but the feats just dont really seem to match 90% of the time to stuff being calc'd.

Like: Thor fought Jorm and shook the 9 nine realms, but fighting Kratos that doesnt happen, in fact not a single other fight in the series that I'm aware of comes close to that visually or story wise. Yes Kratos beat Thor in a fight, but imma be honest this seems like a very nerfed thor compared to what they say he can do in the story.

You can say "Well Kratos was holding back too" which i believe to be somewhat true but even then nothing in the original series comes close to planet level visually or story wise from what I've seen.

The only things putting them at that level are calcs. I understand calcs are important to vs debating but sometimes i feel like too much stock is placed on them being enough on their own to carry a feat.

this is just my opinion on it and your free to ignore it if you find it has no weight to it
I mean, the point of this thread is to decide what tier he should be after Ragnarok. If you had a piece to say on that, as you did here, it wouldn't have been right if you didn't bother saying anything. Your reply and perspective are appreciated, just as everyone else's is, even Bob's, despite the downplay button being pressed on his end. :jordangif

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
One thing I always found off is how Post-Game Ragnarok, you can find remnants of Asgard scattered around the other 8 Realms from Sutr’s destruction of it as if there’s actual physical distance between them.

Always wondered if they forgot how the 9 Realms are actually structured in between games. We know Ragnarok didn’t have Cory on board as director, which IMO was a big part on why the story fell flat compared to the first game

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
I mean, the point of this thread is to decide what tier he should be after Ragnarok. If you had a piece to say on that, as you did here, it wouldn't have been right if you didn't bother saying anything. Your reply and perspective are appreciated, just as everyone else's is, even Bob's, despite the downplay button being pressed on his end. :jordangif
I know but I have a hard time telling people what I really think. I hold back too often tbh
:hestonpls

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
in my thoughts as far as direct feats goes multi-continental and possibly higher makes sense for Kratos at least

in regards to Cosmic stuff and all i feel there's merit to them but due to WOG being whatever and such its makes it hard to be and open and shit case

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Anything seemingly “cosmic scale” in GOW needs to be taken with a grain of salt between “World” just being a floating island surrounding Mt. Olympus and the “Sun” as revealed in Chains of Olympus being just a huge floating temple about as big as a skyscraper carried around by Helios

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
Anything seemingly “cosmic scale” in GOW needs to be taken with a grain of salt between “World” just being a floating island surrounding Mt. Olympus and the “Sun” as revealed in Chains of Olympus being just a huge floating temple about as big as a skyscraper carried around by Helios
The statements are there for cosmic GOW, both from WOG and the games themselves, but as has been shown, there's also statements and showings that blatantly contradict them. Enough so to where the whole idea is on shaky foundations, at best.

Y'all know I hate infinite statements, and this is a prime reason why. People run with it, despite how contradictory it is, and how the statements themselves are more hyperbolic than anything else, when you look at everything objectively.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
I'll be real, I'm open to the idea of Kratos being higher than we rate him. Maybe @Stocking Anarchy or someone else can effectively argue that, when they have the time to step back in here.

One thing's for certain though, if this thread gets concluded with Kratos remaining the same tier, then until the next GOW game arrives and brings with it potential upgrades, whatever complaints there may be can take a backseat, as this thread is the time to prove his better station, if it is the case, based on what we have now. :hestonpls

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Best quantifiable feat is doing a calc of what it takes for Atlas to be able to hold up all of the Greek World.

MxpcYJg.jpg

Olympians like Zeus and Hades have overpowered him and by GoW III, both Titans and Olympians start dropping like flies to Kratos

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Another feat I always thought was pretty impressive is one of the attacks Ares does against you in the first game where he just uproots several mountain sized chunks of earth from the ground with his telekinesis and slams all of them into you during the boss fight

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member

For what it’s also worth, a completely human (with the box’s power) kratos also facetanked being at the epicenter of this explosion in the first game, which parted clouds and vaporized a solid chunk of the sea near Athens should also scale to his de powered self in 2

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member

For what it’s also worth, a completely human (with the box’s power) kratos also facetanked being at the epicenter of this explosion in the first game, which parted clouds and vaporized a solid chunk of the sea near Athens should also scale to his de powered self in 2

Demigod actually, and a son of Zeus no less, but yup.

It shouldn’t scale to his depowered self though. GOWIII ended up being all about Kratos regaining the same God Killing power from Pandora’s Box at the end that was locked away inside him after the first game

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
You have any thoughts on this, @Ral ? :mjpls
Can you get out of my mind first? :maybe

I'd have to really think on this cause the minute Kratos went from cold-blooded out for revenge machine God mode to "let me think about my next move" father of the year, I kinda felt like he lost most of his O.G. status and was very hesitant with many of his actions even in Ragnarok. I understand wanting to change for the sake of his son and many other reasons, but the dude purposely let his own ass get kicked around like a hockey puck :mjlol

Now, I don't really know much about tiering and scaling in the OBD, but Kratos really got a downgrade and became more "human" in the recent games which is understandable, but completely destroyed any hope of him going back to his no chill hell bent on revenge Spartan no-think killer mode self. I like to think of it as a reverse Superman when he went ape shit after the Joker pulled his card on Lois, but with Kratos, he nearly risked the life of his son many times to try and show his son that people (and Gods) can change, but really, they are mostly all assholes who love power and a good ego stroke lol (the Gods that is).

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
He still breaks those chains (which Atlas couldn't do) without the gauntlet so the point stands.
Eh, to be fair, Kratos went after a noticeably brittle link on Atlas’ palm from years of his blood rusting it away.

Likely something Atlas himself isn’t aware of or even something he can do about regardless after years of immobility as the new pillar holding up the Greek world

I was gonna hold off and not say anything but I gotta say my piece otherwise i would be doing you guys a diservice.

I dont buy Kratos being planet level. Multi-Continental as Blade says makes more sense.

My reasoning is thus: What ability or attack was used to give planet level anything? Yeah I know calcs and shit but hot damn, the calcs are cool and all but the feats just dont really seem to match 90% of the time to stuff being calc'd.

Like: Thor fought Jorm and shook the 9 nine realms, but fighting Kratos that doesnt happen, in fact not a single other fight in the series that I'm aware of comes close to that visually or story wise. Yes Kratos beat Thor in a fight, but imma be honest this seems like a very nerfed thor compared to what they say he can do in the story.

You can say "Well Kratos was holding back too" which i believe to be somewhat true but even then nothing in the original series comes close to planet level visually or story wise from what I've seen.

The only things putting them at that level are calcs. I understand calcs are important to vs debating but sometimes i feel like too much stock is placed on them being enough on their own to carry a feat.

this is just my opinion on it and your free to ignore it if you find it has no weight to it

I'm pretty much onboard with this as well.
I do feel too many places give Kratos WAY too much despite the fact that GoW 2019 and especially Ragnarok are a complete mess when it comes to trying to take anything seriously from the writers, artists and otherwise on how strong Kratos is or the Norse Gods, for that matter.

The best way you can really do is just go back to the original GoW games because they are the most clearcut case for Kratos, the Greek Gods, Titans and otherwise. As Blade stated before, the Norse Gods actually come off FAR weaker than the Greek Gods despite WoG stating otherwise which most definitely comes from how the latest GoW games more or less veer away from the spectacle and more into the story telling(For better and worse).
So yeah, I can handle Kratos being Continental-Multicontinental but Planetary and above is a too much.

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Let’s be real here, you guys are just saying that because of the GoW wank

Planet level GoW isn’t nearly as outlandish as some of the other series that get passed at planet level

Planet level GoW isn’t nearly as outlandish as some of the other series that get passed at planet level

Until we get actual proof of that basis then it really isn't. We don't just go by "it makes sense" or else we would very much have Universal/Multiversal Bleach or Multiversal Naruto/Boruto unironically.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member

I’d like to hear which ones.

For me, I can’t think of a series that’s planet level without at least one clear cut feat of a planet getting destroyed or about to be

Back