Mafia General Discussion

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
so like

if it were merely assumptions i wouldn't engage at all, there's a reason i am questioning your post

you've glossed over all that to nitpick my own reaction, handwaving the fact i am asking your intent first and foremost. you know the answer since it was this with an added preface with both alternatives because i didn't want to simply assume what the intent was:
if it's in bad faith, i would discourage it, but not actually prohibit. do what you wish, just don't see where it'd lead

however if you simply want to bounce ideas off of me with a genuine intent to discuss your opposing belief, sure

rest of the post is a way to address the *if scenario*. if that isn't the case, disregard

it's very clear the reason i asked your intent was if it's only controversy for the sake of controversy.
i don't see the point in playing the devil's advocate for the sake of it when community involvement and opinions are placed sporadically by people merely inspecting and observing.

coming in here saying it's a tad melodramatic, while true, paints a clearly disinterested impression, does it not?
what was i supposed to address and assume?

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
i personally wish night phases were shorter lol
i kept waking up every fifteen minutes saying BAZINGA I GOT THE ANSWER and then proceeded to go to my cork board and then do it all over again

if cooldowns are needed that needs to be addressed imo. i dont think they are yet, hopefully never
relying on night phases to give people a clear head in a serious quarrel would be cruel for me to ignore and shrug off

this scenario only applies to people getting uncharacteristically mad--i really dont want that happening because people's tolerance and ability to shrug things off varies, sometimes it even brews resentment
too many times this has happened, and the answer is always so simple: compassion

the tricky thing is getting people to be transparent and open about whether their buttons are being pressed too hard. if a player doesn't explain this themselves, it destabilizes communication and doesn't let the other party attempt to rectify or address an issue they didn't think was an issue to begin with
so if there's a general agreement among the community, which there definitely seems to be, we make sure we have some equivalent to a safeword to stop pressing or something
(this gets more difficult if it's just a tactic being used)

i take potential feuds that may snowball very seriously because my intention is to prevent that rather than watch it happen gradually when i know the exact patterns that can lead to it
i can't prevent all the possible personal quarrels, obviously, but i can atleast try to assist if needed and spot things that need to be spotted

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
I'm jazzed as hell homies let's fucking go

Been a while since I've just rapid srs posted on section building

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
I just wanted to talk about how inappropriate You and Ral handled the situation in regards to the WS guys wanting a representative.

Walking in, getting overly passive aggressive, using OBD as an "Model Minority" analogue. Acting like the WS guys are assholes for even suggesting that.

It just wasn't a good look, and didn't seem like any of you even wanted to hear the other side to know why they wanted a representative in the first place.

The reason why I asked for permission is because none of this is really my business yet I had an opinion. Yet here you are assuming I am just stirring stuff for the sake of it and talking about how I hate mafia when I have been playing it for 3 years now

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
That would have to be a decision that will need to be made as a group and not solely my own. Let my fellow cohorts chime in as well because I did state that I would like to see more from the people that you were bringing in before we figured out who to put on to help out with this section. I've done some good faith modding in the past, especially on OLF, and it didn't turn out how I expected it to be, so I hope y'all understand my hesitation on immediately moderating any new members, especially ones that me and my fellow staff members have yet to get to know better.

I'm sorry if there was some things that were inferred here, but this is news to me and everyone else on the OLF staff.

That was a fear of mine that even Siggy Smalls discussed, that by invitation, it automatically meant modship.

Here, hold up, let me show you guys.

More weary if anything, that's how usually these things go, especially if it's one group migrating to another forum. While that's not necessarily true because the folks over at the OBD joined and made this forum their new home without setting any expectations such as becoming a staff member before even joining. That section is constantly active because they want to be actively apart of this community, they don't need or want to be staff to be able to o enjoy themselves here, they just do their thing. All while not entirely perfect, the section pretty much governs itself in the absence of the section moderators.

We don't hide things here, so I'll openly say that we are taking this discussion seriously, especially in an internal setting. Give us some time to think, decide, and plan, and I'm sure all parties will be happy with the decisions that are ultimately made.

oh lol

I'm late

Cool, glad this is all settled

Ral is on it, Poyser
I'm a retard who can barely do perms sadly

do we have a thirty second wait time?!?!

fixing this now
I don't understand where you're seeing any strife whatsoever.

It was actually a very reasonable, balanced discussion. The whole purpose was to listen to what people were saying.
And I'm absolutely fine with Poyser being a representative alongside Ultra, hence me mentioning... literally giving him perms.

I think you've read this particular exchange very, very incorrectly just as I read your view on mafia incorrectly. (which is my bad, mea culpa)

Where do you see anyone here saying "no or else"?
What does this exchange tell you that I'm somehow missing that I or anyone else involved in this overlooked concerns?
No one on staff is against Poyser as a representative, that wasn't what Ral's initial reservations were about, and neither were mine. It was the lack of communication and inferrence and a set of expectations that not many knew about.
We know about it now, we're putting a plan in action.

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
Speaking of perms

@Poyser
You should have:
Sticky perms
Lock thread perms
Aware user with badge (for future prizes, potentially)
Delete and manage threads
Manage tags
View deleted threads (I can give undelete perms if needed and you want a faster response time)
Delete dice (if something gets botched)
Edit/delete/manga threadmarks
And some other stuff

Poyser

Speaking of perms

@Poyser
You should have:
Sticky perms
Lock thread perms
Aware user with badge (for future prizes, potentially)
Delete and manage threads
Manage tags
View deleted threads (I can give undelete perms if needed and you want a faster response time)
Delete dice (if something gets botched)
Edit/delete/manga threadmarks
And some other stuff
Oh shit nice one

T-Pein™

The Nexus
Pronouns
They/Them
Excellent - Seems this all worked out well!

bjpenn1.gif

T-Pein™

The Nexus
Pronouns
They/Them
Good to see the Mafia community picking up some steam, I have since this thing started been wanting to host a game here but didn't have the player base for it. Maybe can host a game here now in the near future

They still talk about that oneoff you hosted in the WF.

Aries

Illustrious
They still talk about that oneoff you hosted in the WF.

I am the host closest to Mafia one piece. The troll beard. At this point I'm in that Undertaker part timer status, a game from me is no longer just another Mafia game... It's a spectacle

:tearspepe

Flower

King of Nera
V.I.P. Member
I am the host closest to Mafia one piece. The troll beard. At this point I'm in that Undertaker part timer status, a game from me is no longer just another Mafia game... It's a spectacle

:tearspepe
You should rehost FMA and invite Lurko to play.

• Agree
Reactions: Ral
Back