OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Granzon.jpg
thing i miss most about old obd is SRW matches/appreciation in general :wow

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
I wish there was more games in the style of Super Robot Wars, i know there was some for tokusatsu and mahou shoujos but not not nearly enough :wow

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
Been playing Chained Echoes, a 2D retro turn-based JRPG. I'm liking the story so far, the world-building and the characters. The game is similar to Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Suikoden or Xenogears. The traditional XP and levelling progression are replaced by obtaining Grimoire Shards, which you spend to upgrade the characters to unlock new skills or stat buffs. You get them by defeating bosses or doing the reward board. You can upgrade equipment and crystals (that boost your stats) to attach to your weapon or armor. During combat, there is the Overdrive Meter mechanic, which will keep you on your toes and prevents you from spamming one move with a bar on the top left that has yellow, green and red colors. You must keep an eye on it to ensure it stays in the green or below the green. This increases when you or the enemy attack or use skills. Keeping it green buffs your characters for extra damage and defense, but if it goes past green, it will go red, where the enemies get a buff. You can lower it by defending or using the correct skill shown on the top left icon. There are no random battles; you're automatically healed after each battle without needing items. The combat can get quite hard if you don't know what you're doing at first. Debuffs work on all bosses. The only point of grinding is for SP, crystals, upgrade materials and money. You find item bubbles scattered around the world that respawn anytime you leave an area and come back. You have Class Emblems scattered around the world that act as a Job class, you equip them, and they give you bonus stats, two skills and two passive skills. They can be permanent once you master them. Each character also has an Ultra via their unique finishers, but they share an Ultra bar.
Yeah, I've seen nothing but high praise for the game on Steam.

It's looking pretty nice so far.

Yeah, I've seen nothing but high praise for the game on Steam.

It's looking pretty nice so far.
Still haven't acquired my Sky Armors via mechs yet. The characters are interesting, you get a lizardman named Ba'Tharaz in your party that uses his magic to summon weapons like Gilgamesh. You meet him similar how you meet Shadow from FFVI. Another character Victor has musical magic, can kill monsters with a loud trumpet. I like the red haired woman Sienna who uses a Katana in a Iaido stance. The main character Glenn at the beginning of the game gets woke up by his mother in the same layout as Chrono Trigger only for that scenario to be a dream. Glenn has a skill called Cross Slash that might be an obvious reference to Cloud's Cross Slash. There's plenty of races with some that reminds me of Breath of Fire, except the Aer who look like humans with a really long lifespan. One of them that you meet is over 500 years old but looks to be in his 40s. Basically the Numenoreans from Lord of the Rings. The other races you have the lizard people are called Lisvan, the lion people are called Thera, the pig people are called Polka, the fish people are called Phiora, and the jello humanoids are called Gimle. There is a part where the characters get separated from each other thats similar to FFVI.

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
Still haven't acquired my Sky Armors via mechs yet. The characters are interesting, you get a lizardman named Ba'Tharaz in your party that uses his magic to summon weapons like Gilgamesh. You meet him similar how you meet Shadow from FFVI. Another character Victor has musical magic, can kill monsters with a loud trumpet. I like the red haired woman Sienna who uses a Katana in a Iaido stance. The main character Glenn at the beginning of the game gets woke up by his mother in the same Layout as Chrono Trigger only for that scenario to be a dream. Glenn has a skill called Cross Slash that might be an obvious reference to Cloud's Cross Slash. There's plenty of races with some that reminds me of Breath of Fire, except the Aer who look like humans with a really long lifespan. One of them that you meet is over 500 years old but looks to be in his 40s. Basically the Numenoreans from Lord of the Rings. The other races you have the lizard people are called Lisvan, the lion people are called Thera, the pig people are called Polka, the fish people are called Phiora, and the jello humanoids are called Gimle. There is a part where the characters get separated from each other thats similar to FFVI.
Seems like the devs had a nice childhood :maybe

I'm not very fond of the artstyle but overall the game seems neat, i'm currently going through BoF4 so i will try it on another time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back