• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Potential upgrades for the OBD wiki pages

Qinglong

Martyrs are the first to Die
V.I.P. Member
links are still kinda screwed up

SO i kinda wanna point out that although we have a lot of stuff listed under destructive capacity and what those numbers mean, we never really show our work on any of that stuff so its literally just a bunch of numbers that are backed up by "trust us dudes" is there anyway we can have a section showing people how we got to those numbers or how they can get those numbers themselves if they want to double check our work

A bunch of those are actually under the energy list, which did have links before they got nuked because mbxx is dumbass, they're just not linked on the profile itself

some way older profiles are eyeballing but I couldn't list them offhand

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
links are still kinda screwed up

A bunch of those are actually under the energy list, which did have links before they got nuked because mbxx is dumbass, they're just not linked on the profile itself

some way older profiles are eyeballing but I couldn't list them offhand
>because mbxx

Thats all you needed to say, I understand completely

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Why do some links redirect me to Etsy?
Essentially, what @Qinglong mentioned and me adding that many of these links haven't been updated in quite some time. Consequently, they now either point to domains that no longer exist, to content that has disappeared entirely (such as images), or to some sort of redirect that was set up by the new domain owner. In some cases, the owner (for instance, Mbxx in this case) might have changed, upgraded, or completely switched the domain from, let's say, NF to FV, with redirects in place. However, the links still point to the older XenForo version with the non-friendly URL format after the domain name, which isn't SEO-friendly. When you click on these links, the redirect doesn't work because the browser and server can't figure out how to redirect from the old domain and non-SEO-friendly URL to the new domain and the now SEO-friendly URLs. This mirrors the issue we're experiencing with related OBD Wiki links to articles within the same Wiki.

To explain it more clearly, consider the link https://example.com/threadId=1, which used XenForo version 1 with the older non-SEO-friendly link and the previous domain. The owner of example.com decided to upgrade the forum, resulting in the non-SEO-friendly URL changing to https://example.com/threads, just like it is here on OLF. Next, the owner decided to switch domains and set up a redirect from https://example.com to point to https://newexample.com. However, the links in the Wiki haven't been updated to reflect this change in URL structure and domain, rendering them essentially 'dead' links. In the OBD Wiki, there are currently thousands—yes, thousands—of such "dead" links to pages or resources that are no longer available or have moved to a new URL format or domain entirely.

The Wiki needs more attention than ever at this rate, and I'm not criticizing anyone. It appears that people have been adding more articles than they've spent time reviewing existing ones to ensure they remain valid and up to date. We should plan this out and address this issue sooner rather than later, as I'm confident that the SEO ranking algorithms used by search engines like Google and Microsoft are negatively affecting our rankings due to all the "dead" links their bots and crawlers encounter within the Wiki itself.

tl;dr: Many links in the Wiki are outdated, leading to errors and "dead" links. We need to address this issue to improve our SEO rankings.

That's enough writing for today son:dead

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
@Nevermind can you unlock Hollow Knight fiction profile and The Knight profile, please?

The user who had previously checked out the article no longer existed (apparently).

I fixed https://www.outskirtsbattledomewiki.com/index.php?view=article&id=5760:hollow-knight&catid=14

But https://www.outskirtsbattledomewiki.com/index.php?view=article&id=5760:hollow-knight&catid=14 is still locked.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Made a character profile for Hollow Knight.
I would suggest that, going forward, people should download images locally to their devices/machines and then upload the images by dragging and dropping them into the article, rather than relying on sources like Imgur and similar services. I noticed that many of the dead links the scanner found are from image hosting sites that no longer exist, such as Gfycat. I'm not sure how to handle the drag and drop on mobile devices, but it does work in a desktop setting, which I believe most users would prefer to use for typing longer articles.

Regarding the scanner itself, it got stuck at the end of its run with approximately 40,000 scanned links in total, including internal and external links. Given the large number of articles and outdated link sources, many of which are in the Wiki, I don't believe any scanner can help us at this point. We should plan a way for everyone to contribute to the cause by taking the time to review character profiles and other content to check for outdated links or non-existent images. This will help improve the Wiki's SEO ranking, although it currently has significant issues that need to be addressed and patched up as reasonably quick as possible.

I would suggest that, going forward, people should download images locally to their devices/machines and then upload the images by dragging and dropping them into the article, rather than relying on sources like Imgur and similar services. I noticed that many of the dead links the scanner found are from image hosting sites that no longer exist, such as Gfycat. I'm not sure how to handle the drag and drop on mobile devices, but it does work in a desktop setting, which I believe most users would prefer to use for typing longer articles.

Regarding the scanner itself, it got stuck at the end of its run with approximately 40,000 scanned links in total, including internal and external links. Given the large number of articles and outdated link sources, many of which are in the Wiki, I don't believe any scanner can help us at this point. We should plan a way for everyone to contribute to the cause by taking the time to review character profiles and other content to check for outdated links or non-existent images. This will help improve the Wiki's SEO ranking, although it currently has significant issues that need to be addressed and patched up as reasonably quick as possible.
I vouch for @Thegoldenboy2188 and @Xhominid The Apex to have access.

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
@Ral Accidentally duplicated the Ozai page trying to update it, can Ozai (2) be deleted

Use these to update wiki pages as they images aren't dead and I'll get around to fixing dead videos eventually

Qinglong

V.I.P. Member
I updated ozai and azula from what I saw, but when I try to add the main page link to the profiles it's still broken so I stopped there

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I updated ozai and azula from what I saw, but when I try to add the main page link to the profiles it's still broken so I stopped there
Yeah, man, the Wiki needs a massive overhaul tbh and I cannot do it alone lol.

I suggested that people start pasting images directly into the editor so that the CMS stores the image on the server instead of relying on external links, like Gyfcat, which is now defunct :blobcry

Sigismund

So trying to log in, none of my passwords work, no email sent when I tried to reset my password, and in creating a new account, it still sees my email as being used

Qinglong

V.I.P. Member
Yeah, man, the Wiki needs a massive overhaul tbh and I cannot do it alone lol.

I suggested that people start pasting images directly into the editor so that the CMS stores the image on the server instead of relying on external links, like Gyfcat, which is now defunct :blobcry

Sorry for not being clear, I was in a hurry at the time so I didn't remember the other way to do it but just pasting the link to the ATLA page over the current link in the profiles basically does nothing

Reactions: Ral
Back