What are you currently playing?

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
you cant fuck legion right? this is why i never bothered with these games.

Disquiet

deeply unsettling
Still Bloodborne. Just beat the Blood-starved Beast. I think I'm getting the hang of it.

So far, very good. I don't like that you need a Playstation subscription thing to even see and send player messages, though. In general, the only real issues I have with the game aren't issues with the game as much as they're issues with the console. My desire for PC Bloodborne only grows stronger.

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
Still Bloodborne. Just beat the Blood-starved Beast. I think I'm getting the hang of it.

So far, very good. I don't like that you need a Playstation subscription thing to even see and send player messages, though. In general, the only real issues I have with the game aren't issues with the game as much as they're issues with the console. My desire for PC Bloodborne only grows stronger.
it's a crime against humanity that they still haven't ported it

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
Came back to a Shin Megami Tensei Online p server. I played before it, I played during its beta, and now I'm back.

The community is as cool as ever. Super helpful and generous. It really makes the experience addicting. It's as much a social hub as it is a very deep and complex SMT game.

Naraku

I generally play Final Fantasy XIV but since Elden Ring is coming out soon I will be playing that soon. Also been playing GTA 5 and RDR2.

Gonna finish American McGee's Alice either today or tomorrow, it was an amazing journey and I loved every second of it! Goes to show how engine limitations are nothing when in the hands of people who know how to bend them to the absolute limit!

Worst

I've finally managed to plug in that 3080 , i'll (hopefully have the time to ) play some halo infinite this weekend

Disquiet

deeply unsettling
Still Bloodborne. Beat Orphan of Kos last night. One of those weirdly frustrating fights that feels pretty straightforward but for some reason gave me much more trouble than it should. Been doing Chalices, too. I like the concept of the Chalices, but I think it could have been truly legendary if there was just a little more to it - more variety in the procedural generation, perhaps more extra handicaps on some layers (e.g. some Chalices halve player health; more stuff like that), that sort of thing. It'll keep me busy for a while, though.

The game's great, in any case. I still miss player messages, though. It's just not the same without seeing "insert but hole" in front of every bent-over corpse.

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
i think the only boss who gave me more trouble than orphan is laurence, both extremely frustrating but also extremely satisfying to beat (imo)

Disquiet

deeply unsettling
Okay, I've just beat the game. Credits are rolling as I type. I stayed up far too late to do this.

Gehrman/Moon Presence weren't super hard (Gehrman more so than Moon Presence, though) but I might be overleveled on account of Chalice stuff. Immediately before deciding to finally beat the game, I beat that Chalice that halves your health and tells you to kill an Amygdala (among other things) that can one-shot you, which was not fun actually, but I'm glad I probably don't have to do it again.
i think the only boss who gave me more trouble than orphan is laurence, both extremely frustrating but also extremely satisfying to beat (imo)
Laurence didn't give me much trouble, but Orphan sure as heck did. Much, much more trouble than just about anything else, in fact. :catcry

As far as frustrating but cool boss fights go, I think my favourite was Ludwig. Great design, great boss room, fantastic music, a somewhat sensible health bar, maybe only one or two completely bullshit attacks; I loved it. I find myself missing that feature they added in later Sekiro updates that let you replay boss fights whenever you like.

Disquiet

deeply unsettling
Back to FF7R. I desperately want to love this game, but every time I'm wowed by the soundtrack or the sense of scale in the Midgar skyboxes something happens to drag it all back down. I'm surely biased by familiarity with - and love of - the original, but the pacing of this game feels atrocious. I understand that they've pretty much taken the first act of the original and made it its own complete game, so they had to flesh things out, but (for one thing) I really don't think the story of FF7 benefits from having me wander around searching for small children, or revisit locations half a dozen times to fight robots for some reporter or scorpions for some old man, or whatever. None of these people matter and their stories are so incidental. It's all so much fluff.

It might not be such a big deal if the original game wasn't so defined by its nigh-perfect pacing.

Disquiet

deeply unsettling
Back to FF7R. I desperately want to love this game, but every time I'm wowed by the soundtrack or the sense of scale in the Midgar skyboxes something happens to drag it all back down. I'm surely biased by familiarity with - and love of - the original, but the pacing of this game feels atrocious. I understand that they've pretty much taken the first act of the original and made it its own complete game, so they had to flesh things out, but (for one thing) I really don't think the story of FF7 benefits from having me wander around searching for small children, or revisit locations half a dozen times to fight robots for some reporter or scorpions for some old man, or whatever. None of these people matter and their stories are so incidental. It's all so much fluff.

It might not be such a big deal if the original game wasn't so defined by its nigh-perfect pacing.
I'd forgotten, but the original reason I specifically wanted to complain about this was the little segment where Cloud has to walk slowly around an obnoxious pile of very loud obstacles in Aerith's house so she doesn't hear that he's leaving without her. It's something so small and stupid, it's very short and the game takes pity on you and removes most of the obstacles if you fail a couple of times, but the very existence of the segment is an issue. It's a microcosm of everything wrong with the game: the game isn't at all designed for this kind of careful movement, so failure comes down to the limitations of the control more than anything else; it's naked padding of a sequence that was simple and effective enough in the original; and the pseudo-comedic nature of it, as well as the fact that you're inevitably going to be caught at least once, detracts from the weight of what you're doing, i.e. quietly leaving Aerith because her mother ominously demanded that you do so. Everything about it irritates me.

Myralice

Apparently I'm a problem.
I recently managed to get an original version of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 to work.
I've been bugging my son to come over and play me once he gets his booster shot. I've been practicing on speedrunning getting the grail and I wanna see his face when I pull up on his ass with a lich army. He deserves it after he tricked me into thinking Inferno was a viable faction 20 years ago and I'm very petty.

Back