Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I keep getting this notif when i try to edit a page :rock
thought it was just a mobile thing, but it persists on PC too @Nevermind
rc9cw8k.jpeg
Yup, it's a known issue that was due to a migration to the latest version of the content manager upgrade that didn't go as planned. Currently working on seeing how much I can salvage for @Nevermind so we can force the upgrade through other means and get this working again.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
If only this could have happened in January instead of February when I had to foot the damn bill.

• Wow
Reactions: Ral

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Slight update:

Since attempting to migrate and upgrade the wiki, there have been some hurdles with the process that I was able to finally ovecome.

I would advise everyone to not create new articles until @Nevermind or myself give the OK to do so once we finish sorting out the upgrade situation.

The wiki had broken when I attempted to upgrade it the first time, but now that I have it running locally just fine, I should be able to copy and paste what I have now, including the database, and then we'll be able to sort out the rest. This is how it'll look post-upgrade, but sometime next year when the bill is due for hosting, I have agreed to help @Nevermind find a better host or I'd simply host the OBD Wiki for him on the same server as OLF. It should save him a ton of money and time given that I also agreed to be his system administrator going forward and I consider it an honor to be able to help the OBD as best as I can with my technical skillset.

BEHOLD THE BEAUTY THAT WILL BE THE UPGRADED WIKI.

fxEr2ba.jpg

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Looks like we're good to go for the most part; about to PM @Nevermind to deliver the good news! @GoldenHeart you should be able to create articles again, give it a try, and let me know how it turns out :yousmart

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
It's kinda weird, some of the pages work just fine now, but others give me the same message (i.e: zabuza, boruto) just from trying to enter them, not even from trying to enter
will try on PC later

Last edited:

AllForOne

Illustrious
Actually, the retro vibe was kind of unique for the OBD. I'm worried this will create a greater loss of interest since its lost that unique familiarity.

Just my two cents. Nostalgia does make a difference tho.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Experiencing the same issues. Ah, I kind of miss the old format. Loved how retro it was.

Oh well.
Needed to change unfortunately. It was too vulnerable.

There's probably still some bugs. I'm not a web developer so I wasn't quite aware of just how outdated the software was.

The interest we should want to generate now is in original content creation, in particular. Think OBD Monthly like we used to do but on steroids.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
It's kinda weird, some of the pages work just fine now, but others give me the same message (i.e: zabuza, boruto) just from trying to enter them, not even from trying to enter
will try on PC later
Experiencing the same issues. Ah, I kind of miss the old format. Loved how retro it was.

Oh well.
Can y'all provide any screenshots? I still have the old database backup that will have anything that's possibly missing, but it could also be an obsolete extension causing a muck.

I liked the retro look too, but the version of Joomla that the wiki was previously on was about two years old and Joomla stopped providing security fixed for that version recently. In version 4, they added Bootstrap 4 (kek) to enhance the mobile-first experience (that's the era we're in now, sadly).

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
The JCE editor is still available, but they plan to phase that out soon too, since that editor predates any modern and maintained WYSIWYG editor out there now. The editor used to write articles now is called TinyMCE, which gets amazing community support, and all of the features and improvements added to Joomla 4 will make sure the wiki won't need a big update again for a while.

If retro is what y'all miss, I can possibly look into dumbing down the theme a bit so that it matches the old look? Although, the nav menu under the logo could use some condensing if it's a bit too long to scroll down from, probably some sub-nav menus could do it some wonders.

@Nevermind ultimately makes the calls and I simply do the tech-related work for him so that the wiki lives vulnerability-free for the most part and up to date whenever it's due for an upgrade.

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
Can y'all provide any screenshots? I still have the old database backup that will have anything that's possibly missing, but it could also be an obsolete extension causing a muck.
Example:
What i get when i enter the Naruto page
WKQ9vvF.jpeg

VS
When i enter the Zabuza page
pPR4e4P.jpeg

I don't really mind whatever style you guys pick for the site tbh

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Example:
What i get when i enter the Naruto page
WKQ9vvF.jpeg

VS
When i enter the Zabuza page
pPR4e4P.jpeg

I don't really mind whatever style you guys pick for the site tbh
Alright, so it looks like the links to the articles need to be updated for the ones that lead to a 404 page. The Zabuza profile article exists, but the link in the profile directory is no longer valid. This is the correct link: https://outskirtsbattledomewiki.com/index.php?view=article&id=1341&catid=8

I'll check to see if there's an easier way to organize articles on a page instead of having to add links to them one by one or if anything, we can simply scower the wiki for those no longer valid links and update them accordingly.

AllForOne

Illustrious
The JCE editor is still available, but they plan to phase that out soon too, since that editor predates any modern and maintained WYSIWYG editor out there now. The editor used to write articles now is called TinyMCE, which gets amazing community support, and all of the features and improvements added to Joomla 4 will make sure the wiki won't need a big update again for a while.

If retro is what y'all miss, I can possibly look into dumbing down the theme a bit so that it matches the old look? Although, the nav menu under the logo could use some condensing if it's a bit too long to scroll down from, probably some sub-nav menus could do it some wonders.

@Nevermind ultimately makes the calls and I simply do the tech-related work for him so that the wiki lives vulnerability-free for the most part and up to date whenever it's due for an upgrade.
I knew it would have to happen eventually sadly. I'm all for the security upgrades and modernizing though.

Maybe just trying to replicate the old look would help. I just know that updates like this can kill a site. The old Sailor Moon forum used to look completely different until 2018 when they updated. Kind of nuked it in the process. (though they made some other very questionable decisions too...)

My biggest concern is mostly with he possibility of OBD looking too similar to the VS Battles wiki. Maintaining our own unique theme is vital to staying in the game.

• Agree

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
My biggest concern is mostly with he possibility of OBD looking too similar to the VS Battles wiki. Maintaining our own unique theme is vital to staying in the game.
We can definitely customize the theme to make it stand out a bit. You got a link to the VS battles wiki?

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
This may be retarded but.....how did you create a new profile again? I forgor :mjlol
Was gonna make a Haku one since we were revisiting Naruto and such

Back