Misconceptions about VS. Debating

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
Sz3Exjj.png

Gee look at all those freebies J’Geil was giving a guy who can see and react to his movement,

Oh wait…also Polnareff.

“He moves at the speed of light. No one can see that fast.”

We are derailing this thread anyway so we are just gonna agree to disagree on this one. If you really want to dispute this then just make a meta thread about it so we can have more opinions than like 4 people

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
I’d just be repeating what’s already mentioned here. And based on the reactions between my posts and those I’ve argued with, yeah it’s a waste of time.

I never go into debates to change peoples minds anyway, just to argue my points.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
I’d just be repeating what’s already mentioned here. And based on the reactions between my posts and those I’ve argued with, yeah it’s a waste of time.

I never go into debates to change peoples minds anyway, just to argue my points.
So essentially you walk into rooms, drop a load of stuff on the floor and then walk out afterwards regardless of what people say
:hestonpls

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
The argument I’ve seen for this is that Araki’s weird art style is showing the exact opposite of what Polnareff said (which I do admit Araki’s art mucks things up and the perspective looks off here)

But I’d rather drop it here
it isnt just this though, every time Chariot cuts the hanged man it moves its arm after HM has already started its movement

people arguing Araki drew it wrong doesnt really make much sense when he consistently only draws Chariot attacking after Hanged Man moves

i cant recall any other examples of Araki drawing something purely symbolic or whatever mid-fight

off the top of my head I only remember The World in a flashback with its arms in Gears representing the mechanics of time

the panel of Geil zipping around Pol and Kak is exactly what I meant earlier about perceiving the beam not being something Polnareff can do casually or repeatedly, and Geil does give a lot of freebies all throughout the arc because he’s a vindictive rapist asshole

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
That much is true. You can clearly see from the order of panels that Silver Chariot cut through Hanged Man after it left the guys eye and before it could reach the coin in the air.

Literally cut a beam of light faster than it could travel to a coin in other words

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
And finally, the last scan I posted of Polnareff standing as a literal deer in headlights unable to track Hanged Man among a crowd even when said beam he can supposedly track is just inches next to him as it circles around him.

KEK
From that distance it’s a tall order to track anything over such a small slice of the visual field

You’d have more to say had it been from meters away, not directly in his face

The less distance between you and a given moving object, the less distance and thus speed it needs to be difficult to track. Also size, just size. Make something small enough you’re going to have a bitch of a time spotting it cluttered with the rest of the visual information around you. Like a shitty game of where’s Waldo the smaller it is

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
From that distance it’s a tall order to track anything over such a small slice of the visual field

The less distance between you and a given moving object, the less distance and thus speed it needs to be difficult to track. Also size, just size. Make something small enough you’re going to have a bitch of a time spotting it cluttered with the rest of the visual information around you. Like a shitty game of where’s Waldo the smaller it is
Like, we as a species honestly suck at noticing details we haven’t zeroed in on.

Can whole ass miss a person dancing and moving across the room in a Gorilla costume while paying attention to fuckers just passing a basketball, let alone spotting an eye sized object moving around inches away at such and such speeds.

I don’t for a second believe either Kak or Pol any more perceptive to changes in their environment

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member

That’s obvious. What I was arguing with that scan wasnt a question of reaction speed, but proof they couldn’t even perceive him even when he’s moving right around them

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
That’s obvious. What I was arguing with that scan wasnt a question of reaction speed, but proof they couldn’t even perceive him even when he’s moving right around them
Again, they first have to notice him to perceive him. It’s not even a matter of reactions, it’s not straight forward they’re thinking too slow.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Again, they first have to notice him to perceive him. It’s not even a matter of reactions, it’s not straight forward they’re thinking too slow.
Somethings up when they don’t notice him moving around them even as he’s conversing with them precisely because they have no way of knowing what surface he’ll be on

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Somethings up when they don’t notice him moving around them even as he’s conversing with them precisely because they have no way of knowing what surface he’ll be on
Not really, it’s the same idea as losing a hockey puck from the nose bleeds despite the rink subjectively looking smaller than your face. Even a slap shot takes a second and change to cross the full thing. And that’s purely black and white contrast, not even talking the volume of visual information they’re looking through in addition

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
That’s overthinking context never even implied at any point.

Occam’s razor backed by Polnareff saying Hanged Man is impossible for hims to perceive and the entire fight being about limiting his movement to a single path to be able to know where to hit him for this reason all go to Polnareff not able to perceive him

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
That’s overthinking context never even implied at any point.
Might not want to cite that scan, single out how they struggle to see it inches from their face, and not expect me to point out why that reasoning sucks
Occam’s razor backed by Polnareff saying Hanged Man is impossible for hims to perceive and the entire fight being about limiting his movement to a single path to be able to know where to hit him for this reason all go to Polnareff not able to perceive him
I’m not even talking about him having comparable reactions to his stand, but this reasoning is still stupid on its face

SC is not autonomous, right? Pol still needs to react in the time frame it takes for the light to travel between surfaces for SC to move attack the stand stuck in that linear trajectory transit. Knowing where to hit something is meaningless if you lack the timing to make it happen.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Might not want to cite that scan, single out how they struggle to see it inches from their face, and not expect me to point out why that reasoning sucks

I’m not even talking about him having comparable reactions to his stand, but this reasoning is still stupid on its face

SC is not autonomous, right? Pol still needs to react in the time frame it takes for the light to travel between surfaces for SC to move attack the stand stuck in that linear trajectory transit. Knowing where to hit something is meaningless if you lack the timing to make it happen.
Polnareff just needs to instruct the Stand on where to swing, likely as he’s kicking dirt in the guys eyes, and it does the rest on its own. It’s a speed feat for Silver Chariot. We’ve seen numerous times Stands defend their users from things they themselves can’t react to from Part 3 alone

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Sorta

Sometimes stands are automatic, sometimes they aren’t. Star Platinum automatically saved Jotaro from dying when he tried to shoot himself

Back