unpopular opinions thread: olf o bee dee edition

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
JJK is just your typical fighting shouned mixed with some horror elements and teenage drama.

Good series, but no character development or arcs really. The story goes after them.

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
jjk is overrated, it ain't that good, literally mixed elements from yyh, bleach, nardo and even kekkashi, lmao

gege admits too

but

it has some unique elements and the story can be good, plus, the choreo of several fights, can be cool

although kinda repetitive, especially the hth ones, i have seen way better hth fights

at least, its one of the best next gen shonen series, even as :highbars as it can be

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
choreography is an artform of its own and there are very few people in any modern medium that seem to have a good grasp on it

the raid 1 [movie], which is the reason, the choreo of the whole movies genre evolved, after 010-011, in cqc/hth wise [cuz they took elements from the 90's/early 00''s stuff and improved them to next levels], even now, after 11 years, this movie is still part of the top tiers

and the whole caped genre can't surpass them, no matter how bad flashy cgi explosions or so they want to make

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Not so much of an unpopular opinion here (and slowly starting to become a bit less unpopular overall), but I feel as though the 'Whedonification" of media has caused an untold amount of damage to storytelling. Every character is snarky and quippy, there's a joke being told every two minutes, and any moments that would be heartfelt or sincere are broken up by a reference to pop culture. It's fine to tell a joke every once in a while in a story, and if you want to have a lot of bathos in your story, that's perfectly fine. But when the dialogue of your story begins to read like the script of an MCU film, it just shows that you're not confident in your own work, that you're afraid the story you're telling isn't that good, so you tell a quick joke to distract the audience from whatever it is in your story that you're worried about.

The problem isn't that this exists, because by itself it's harmless. The problem is that now everything wants to be like this, that everything wants to be like the MCU. It's bad enough to where you had people going into Dune confused because it actually took itself seriously and didn't tell jokes. Shit, even Devil May Cry, a series known for its characters making all manners of jokes in the most dire of situations, still knows when to be sincere and honest. Yet when Thor's home is destroyed the director's self insert makes a quick joke about it and Thor isn't even allowed to be sad about it. Martin Sorsese was right.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Not sure what the stance is here about this but I just wanted to say this.

This modern day obsession by game developers for realism and graphical detail is overrated and now ruining gaming.

We’re past the point of huge graphical leaps with each console generation or games imitating real life or some big budget Hollywood blockbuster. It’s no longer to go wow about like it was over a decade ago. It’s the norm.

Now all that’s left is this need for hyper realism in games that’s restricting art, creativity, and gaming genres.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
That's unpopular? I thought people only said Kira was the best JJBA villain ironically.
nah Kira has always been a popular choice for best villain, him Dio and Valentine are the ones I see the most often

now if you want a real unpopular opinion the best villain was actually Pucci :mjpls

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
nah Kira has always been a popular choice for best villain, him Dio and Valentine are the ones I see the most often

now if you want a real unpopular opinion the best villain was actually Pucci :mjpls
Lmao Pucci.

I liked him better than most people did ngl.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
I have loved him since the first time I read part 6 and my appreciation has only gotten stronger with age

He's the perfect foil to Jolyne as the legacy of the Joestars, as he's carrying on Dio's legacy. His backstory is absolutely fucking insane and informs how a seemingly normal person could develop such a fucked worldview if given the supernatural means to enact it. Also he's the only JoJo villain besides Valentine who actually started out as more or less a completely normal person, so we get to see him transform into what he is now in realtime.

The coolest thing about him to me is really how well Made in Heaven fits him and Stone Ocean thematically. Stone Ocean is JoJo coming full circle, it's the end of the story that started with Jonathan. Made in Heaven literally brings everything back around to the beginning with the goal of changing it all. It's just the perfect way to end the first 6 parts, and none of it would be as effective without Pucci.

People also oversell the gay for Dio aspect and ignore that his relationship with Dio was being the only guy who followed him that didn't do so blindly. All of their past interactions are forms of debate, eg Dio claims Survivor is the weakest Stand along with the boiling water Stand. Pucci immediately uses both of those to nearly kill two characters.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
There's nothing wrong with a story being political. Stories have gotten political for over a century now. It's just that so many modern stories either grind the story to a halt to soapbox directly to the audience, or are insincere with their messege just so they can pander to certain demographs.
Metal Gear in general is probably the ultimate example of doing this right tbh

Back