To Aru Majutsu No Index Feats/Discussion/Analysis Thread - Touma's Boogaloo Edition

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
- NT21

Pure elements do not exist in the surface of the four worlds (i.e. Assiah, the world of man/the physical world).

(This is purely here for indexing purposes)

@Cryso Agori
Even Mathers had wielded the four great elements.
But in the real world in which humans lived, he had been unable to draw out the pure elements, so he had included an impurity to control them.

Cement is only a dry powder on its own, but it hardens once mixed with water and gravel.
He had included a similar practical compromise in his methodology.
But Coronzon was different.
Fire of fire.
She mercilessly reached for a pure element which could not be achieved in the human world.
Just as water molecules void of all impurities displayed special behavior like insulating against electricity, this would produce a result different from the magic used by humans.
Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers.
Not even the leader of the Golden cabal had achieved this ultimate magic.

- NT22

Even a magician on the level of Mathers (who is the rival/general equal of Aleister, the same guy who can briefly fight with full power Magic Gods) was unable to achieve this level of magic.

Magic God Niang-Niang’s invisible scorpion tail—the collection of recreated sparks—was swept away and erased by the explosive flames.
Just like the stars in the night sky were swept away by the dawn.
“I see. Coronzon lurks behind the Sephiroth, not the Qliphoth. You’re a demon, but you’realso a gatekeeper who never falls from the tree. I see, I see. You form your power from the laws of the Olam Beriah, not the Olam Asiyah! Yeah, this is interesting!! You can probably earn a participation trophy and an ‘A for Effort’ for this!!”
Yes.
The pure elements did not exist in this world and they would never mix with anything else.
Just like pure water and monopoles behaved differently just by being a single pure thing.
Even if it did not have the perfect negation ability of Imagine Breaker, it could push the enemy away like a moving wall.
Gabriel controlled the same water anyone could use, so why was that archangel such a threat?

This was the same. The element was identical, but the level of purity was far greater.

- NT22

Pure elements, again, being stated to originate from Briah, not Assiah (the surface world/world of man/surface of the four worlds).

Pure elements, although they do not possess the negation ability of Imagine Breaker, are stated, through their sheer purity, to essentially "push away" any thing they go against that isn't as "pure" as them.

And since it mentions Gabriel, who originates from the phase of Heaven, utilizing said pure elements, this logically implies that Heaven is located in Briah (the world of "angels", in Kabbalah).

(Again, leaving these purely for indexing purposes)

@Cryso Agori

Last edited:

Paxton

V.I.P. Member
It was actually because she was weaker without a body, hence the sword being negatable.

Touma even did technically stop the first one, just not completely. Othinus herself specifically said the power at the time was too much for Touma to be able to negate
On top of that, you can just look at the difference in damage that Touma's arm received negating both

Gungnir - a couple of fingers were disjointed
Flaming;Sword - his entire arm got fucked up

:tupac

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Yeah I kind of figured, but I am curious as to why that's even a thought in my brain to begin with

Might have to get started on my re-read sooner than I thought lol
Just curious, what year did you get into this series and how?

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Probably about 2020, I think?

from Gigguk's video on the series iirc
Ah yes, the time Gigguk experienced the quality of the series himself and became a fan

2011-2012 for me. Tail end of high school when I got into the series first with watching / reading Railgun

Paxton

V.I.P. Member
"The Rosicrucian magic cabal had hidden in the shadows of history. No one knew what exactly R&C Occultics was, even as it chose to unilaterally influence the entire world. And it was all controlled by Anna Sprengel, who stepped on Secret Chief Aiwass and selfishly wielded power greater than a god."

- GT4 (I believe)

Found another statement regarding Anna Sprengel.

Anna Sprengel directly stated by the the narration to be wielding power greater than a god (I wonder what sort of god is being referred to?).

(Leaving this here for indexing purposes)

@Cryso Agori

Last edited:

Hiryuu

Anna Sprengel directly stated by the the narration to be wielding power greater than a god (I wonder what sort of god is being referred to?).

(Leaving this here for indexing purposes)
This honestly just sounds like flowery language/overly general statements that you can find in many part of the LN. Similar to Accelerator being dubbed "the one who wields the power of God" or the most famous case, Fiamma being referred to as "superior to God".

Paxton

V.I.P. Member
This honestly just sounds like flowery language/overly general statements that you can find in many part of the LN. Similar to Accelerator being dubbed "the one who wields the power of God" or the most famous case, Fiamma being referred to as "superior to God".
Yeah you'd have a point if a literal Magic God herself didn't say the same thing about her lol

and the narration repeatedly corroborating this

Paxton

V.I.P. Member
Like, the quotes regarding Accelerator and LPSAD Fiamma really aren't the same thing

Paxton

V.I.P. Member
On another note, how's everyone feeling about GT10 coming up next.. month I think?

Paxton

V.I.P. Member
"When they took the fundamentals to this extreme, a magician could produce miracles powerful enough to bisect the entire world with nothing more than their own body. For one thing, Kabbalah said the small human body and the large world corresponded to each other. In that sense, relying on external tools to complete one’s spells could be seen as the heretical option.

Aleister understood that.

Intellectually, anyway.

But that argument was like saying understanding the logic behind the Big Bang allowed someone to produce a Big Bang."

- GT7

Anna Kingsford is stated to be capable of bisecting the world through sheer skill/knowledge of such phenomenon.

Essentially, through sheer knowledge/skill, magicians on Kingsford's level would be able to create something like an improved version of Othinus' Gungnir just by making a simple gesture.

(Leaving this here purely for indexing purposes, again)

@Cryso Agori

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Othinus and Will of the Misaka Network got some beef going on.

Misaka’s Sister continued staring blankly as she directed her gaze a bit higher.

She looked to Othinus, the 15cm god keeping warm within the pointy hair.

“You are a god, aren’t you? says Misaka as she gives you a New Year’s greeting. Bow.”

“Come to think of it, the being hidden within you kept her memories and personality after I destroyed the world, didn’t she?”

“Misaka is not sure what you mean, but she does hear an unidentified voice in her head saying, ‘Fuck that lonely goddess for hogging the spot next to Kamijou-chan like she of all people deserves the heroine position’, notes Misaka. Fuck you.”

“Fair warning: I’m not a particularly benevolent god. If I thought hitting you would hurt the being hidden within you, I would do so without hesitation, insolent clone.”

Paxton

V.I.P. Member
Remind me, Magic Gods all experienced death only once as a part of the suicide ritual that they each took part in to acquire that status, right?

Churronzon

Yeah they only need to hang themselves (or w/e their myth inspires) once to perform the ritual and entrance to MagicGodhood

Don't ask me for the quote smh

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Magic God and Transcendent alliance

The train soon arrived in District 12 and the view outside the window entirely changed.

“Impressive,” said Othinus from Kamijou’s shoulder.

Giant pyramids and Greek-style temples were lined up in between the skyscrapers made of thick concrete and glass. One temple had various color patterns applied to it with projection mapping, perhaps to research the theory that the Parthenon wasn’t originally white. There were plenty of enormous stone monuments and goddess statues. The colors washing down the river were not fallen leaves or flower petals – they were origami dolls designed to decompose naturally. A herd of deer wandered happily along an elevated street which was closed to traffic. More than a research institute for mythology and religion, the place felt like a theme park full of replicas of famous tourist locations from around the world.

Kamijou had rarely ever visited the district, but he knew the basics.

“It isn’t that they actually believe in any gods. The idea is to research why humans believe in gods and what is needed to keep people in the special psychological state known as ‘belief’ long term. Most of the research is in the fields of philosophy, psychology, and architecture.”

“Hmph.” “Hmph.”

Othinus and Aradia both sounded less than pleased. Unsurprising when they were both known as gods.

“(I probably shouldn’t tell them this is the headquarters of Academy City’s analysis of all things unscientific and supernatural and that it’s commonly known as the Occult Denial Society.)”

“We heard all of that.” “We heard all of that.”

The two divine ones were suddenly the best of friends as they responded in perfect unison, but that was when the train arrived in the District 12 station.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
“So, Tessou? Care to remind me who it was that put my arm in this sling? Ow, ow, ow, ow. Man the winter chill sure does a number on a broken arm.”

“Kh!? Y-your guilt trip won’t work on me!!”

GT_Index_v07_BW3.png

“Suit yourself. Now, the solitary confinement area is split up by gender, age, and occupation, isn’t it? That means you’re in the teacher section. And if my memory serves, isn’t your cell neighbor named Therestina?”

Therestina getting name dropped. Pretty cool how this once more reaffirms the anime-only second halfs of the first two seasons of Railgun are indeed canon

Makes me especially happy that it means Shinobu got the closure the anime gave her too

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Finally on GT8. And yup, it’s basically NT10 all over again with Touma rescuing the villain vs the world.

One main difference is Anna being an extremely toxic bitch about it compared to Othinus who already changed her ways prior to being saved.

Touma really be like:

177.png

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
At least Aradia is taggling along to counter Anna’s bitchiness but yeah, I can see why this volume is already divisive among readers who think Toumas officially in over his head at this point with his Savior Complex. Anna’s basically Othinus with none of the charm or likeability

The fact that this brashness has soured his friendship with Accelerator and especially Aleister whose been doing nothing but trying to help him against these Transcendents all these past volumes only makes it worse.

Back