• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

To Aru Majutsu No Index Feats/Discussion/Analysis Thread - Touma's Boogaloo Edition

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
It may not have gone down well with the public, but they still saw it and bought it xd
How is Mental Out doing? It’s a mid series to me but apparently if it does well, the artist will do a Gunha spin-off next which definitely sounds interesting.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Latest IF events

Esther is just too pure. Really wish she’d make a return.

And looks like their giving the movie The Miracle of Endymion another go. Was a good movie, just wish it was longer so that all the characters it crammed in could do more. Wonder if it’s an Anniversary thing since the movie is now 10 years old

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Also with this ITEM spin-off, hope it doesn’t try too hard to make Frenda seem like a better person than she really is ever since her friendship with Saten in Railgun and NT Volume 12 humanized her some. Shes on the cover with Mugino so she’s at least a major character

I was not a fan of the Index manga doing a retcon of the part of her giving away her friends locations after SCHOOL captured as being done against her will through Gokusai’s Measure Heart ability.

There was no mention of that in the light novels and the Railgun series that showed her positive side also established her as just as cold-blooded and sadistic with little regard for human life as Mugino at her worst. Railgun also shows she’s a chronic backstabber that will easily sell out her friends if it means saving her own skin too.

4.jpg

5.jpg

As nasty as her death was, it was also her karma finally catching up to her which the Index manga sort of diminished.

Top59

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
How is Mental Out doing? It’s a mid series to me but apparently if it does well, the artist will do a Gunha spin-off next which definitely sounds interesting.
Well, Nogi mentioned on his Twitter that the first volume was over in pre-order, then the re-release was over in a week, and the second re-release was over too fast.

But largely it was that there were people buying 3, 5 and 10 times the same volume.

About the second volume I have no idea how it went.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Well, Nogi mentioned on his Twitter that the first volume was over in pre-order, then the re-release was over in a week, and the second re-release was over too fast.

But largely it was that there were people buying 3, 5 and 10 times the same volume.

About the second volume I have no idea how it went.
So going well enough. Personally didn’t see the point of a Shokuhou manga with how big a character she is now in Index and Railgun and Astral Buddy also being almost as much her story as Junko’s. We’ve learned just about everything we need to know about her and her clique by now

Mental Out’s also been a slow burn that only recently starting picking things up

Top59

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Personally didn’t see the point of a Shokuhou manga with how big a character she is now in Index and Railgun and Astral Buddy also being almost as much her story as Junko’s. We’ve learned just about everything we need to know about her and her clique by now
Sell waifus...

I know it sounds bad but in Japan they live by selling waifus and seeing the comments they write to Nogi about "he makes girls very attractive" well...

It also goes that gouranga is the editor of Railgun, Mental Out, Astral Buddy etc. He said a long time ago in a question and answer that he is in charge of what is done on the science side, that's why he left hints that there are more espers potentially level 5 or explained the Dragons, he proposed that each level 5 have at least one spin off manga, he even works with Kamachi and the mangakas to make scripts that don't contradict the main line so much but he doesn't have any authority on what which is done on the magic side, most likely that's why we don't see a manga on the magic side.

In another unrelated question he said he wants to do an Aleister Crowley manga but he's not sure if he will because it involves both sides.

Maybe he has said more things, he writes a lot on Twitter but it's hard to know when he talks about Index and when he doesn't.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
No denying that, I love Nogi’s art. Only complaint is the Same Face Syndrome he tends to draw girls and even some boys.

Can’t tell you how many times I got scenes confused between Junko and one of new girls in Mental Out because both had drill ringlet hair that only slightly varied from each other.

Index, Railgun, and Dark Matter mangaka all do a better job in making variations in the faces of characters

Top59

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
To see opinions.

How strong do you see the Saints? :hm

I myself thought that I do not think they are planetary, but there are little things.

At least as far as I remember, Kanzaki survived a chop from Crowley, Crowley's spell with the weight of the world is based on a Saint, there's Acqua absorbing Gabriel's energy, Elizard holding a match with Accelerator.

how do you see that?

Since if we go by calculations most of his individual feats are from city to Island level, but power scaling is one thing.

It annoys me that Kanzaki was affected by a tornado, but if Goku was "hurt" by a bullet shot, I suppose there are contradictions everywhere.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
I'd say there around rel-ftl in speed and mountain+-continent level in strength normally. But all Saint's seem to have a gimmick that allows them to hit way above their weight class. Yuisen, Curtana, Divine Mother's Mercy, etc.

Last edited:

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
You can find low ends for just about any character/series.

Also, based on scaling from Gabriel’s feats and how OBD does scaling, Saints are around planet level at the minimum. Kanzaki fought Gabriel while holding back, every other Saint introduced is at least as strong as her, Acqua is outright stronger than that same Gabriel, etc

And solidly FTL starting from Kanzaki’s feat with Index’s Dragon’s Breath and weaker characters also reacting to things like Electron Beams at close range

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
You can find low ends for just about any character/series.

Also, based on scaling from Gabriel’s feats and how OBD does scaling, Saints are around planet level at the minimum. Kanzaki fought Gabriel while holding back, every other Saint introduced is at least as strong as her, Acqua is outright stronger than that same Gabriel, etc
Except Gabriel's water wings are explicitly at the level of destroying mountains, and as I said before, Yuisen allows her to hit above her weight class, her "holding back" was just not using Yuisen.

Also, I'm not sure about Acqua>Gabriel scaling cause Acqua... you know blew up absorbing half of Gabriel's power.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Except Gabriel's water wings are explicitly at the level of destroying mountains, and as I said before, Yuisen allows her to hit above her weight class, her "holding back" was just not using Yuisen.

Also, I'm not sure about Acqua>Gabriel scaling cause Acqua... you know blew up absorbing half of Gabriel's power.
And DBS Frieza still hits explicitly with the force of a planet explosion, Tiamat’s attack is explicitly compared to a nuclear bomb, Saber got KO’d by being flung into a wall at explicitly 200 kph and can be killed by bullets that a truck can provide some cover from.

What’s your point?

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
As for Acqua and Gabriel, Acqua is already pushing himself to his limits with DMM, even if he’s stronger; that’s no reason to say still adding half the gargantuan power of Gabriel to your own isn’t going to mess you up.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
What’s your point?
My point is that Kanzaki was never hit by a planet-level attack to my knowledge, she has a technique at that level yes. But there is no actual scaling for her normal dura and ap to be that high because Gabriel's water wings are explicitly said to be capable of destroying mountains and Gabriel was also holding back in that fight.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
My point is that Kanzaki was never hit by a planet-level attack to my knowledge, she has a technique at that level yes. But there is no actual scaling for her normal dura and ap to be that high because Gabriel's water wings are explicitly said to be capable of destroying mountains and Gabriel was also holding back in that fight.
She can from tanking Gabriel’s attacks who can casually move the entire planet and everything in the Solar System with just a thought as well as surviving Acqua’s stronger technique whose > that same Gabriel

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
She can from tanking Gabriel’s attacks who can casually move the entire planet and everything in the Solar System with just a thought
She was tanking the water wings... which were explicitly at the level of destroying mountains. Both in OT4 and OT21 and its water wings are never actually stated to be any stronger.

Kanzaki doesn't scale to Astro In Hand. She scales to a Gabriel half-assing itself throwing mountain-level attacks.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
She was tanking the water wings... which were explicitly at the level of destroying mountains. Both in OT4 and OT21 and its water wings are never actually stated to be any stronger.

Kanzaki doesn't scale to Astro In Hand. She scales to a Gabriel half-assing itself throwing mountain-level attacks.
And the above mentioned are never stated to be any stronger than described.

She scales to all of Gabriel’s power from again, taking the strongest spell from a person who possesses more power than Gabriel and she herself possessing enough power to kill Gabriel in one hit if she chose to.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
And the above mentioned are never stated to be any stronger than described.
Yeah okay and? Again, Gabriel never uses a spell on the level of Astro In Hand against Kanzaki, she uses the Water Wings.

she herself possessing enough power to kill Gabriel in one hit if she chose to.
Again I already said that Yuisen allows Kanzaki to hit above her weight class, but that power doesn't scale to her normal techs or dura.

She scales to all of Gabriel’s power from again, taking the strongest spell from a person who possesses more power than Gabriel
Uh, that statement makes absolutely zero sense, how can you be more powerful than the thing giving you power? Especially when Acqua literally loses DMM and his Sainthood trying to absorb half of incomplete Gabriel's power.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Yeah okay and? Again, Gabriel never uses a spell on the level of Astro In Hand against Kanzaki, she uses the Water Wings.

Again I already said that Yuisen allows Kanzaki to hit above her weight class, but that power doesn't scale to her normal techs or dura.

Uh, that statement makes absolutely zero sense, how can you be more powerful than the thing giving you power? Especially when Acqua literally loses DMM and his Sainthood trying to absorb half of incomplete Gabriel's power.
And the Water Wings scale to something Gabriel puts even less effort into which is moving entire planets

Yuisen is all of Kanzaki’s magic put into a slash, so it does very much scale to her

Simple: Full power Acqua is Gabriel + his own power combined, something that was already described as pushing the boundaries of what’s possible. Him adding Gabriel again broke the limits.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Simple: Full power Acqua is Gabriel + his own power combined, something that was already described as pushing the boundaries of what’s possible. Him adding Gabriel again broke the limits.
Except his Sainthood was derived from Gabriel wasn't it? Not just DMM.

Back